Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
BTW, looking at the global statistics from Open Repos it looks like the Sailfish OS community in US is pretty big, if not one the biggest one:
https://openrepos.net/statistics/global
This is remarkable since neither Nokia's N9 or Sailfish was/is directly made available or supported in US. Of course the exception being the Jolla tablet, which a US citizen could participate in the crowd sourcing...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
This is remarkable since neither Nokia's N9 or Sailfish was/is directly made available or supported in US.
Which is also remarkable given that I bought my first N9 on eBay from a US seller.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Which is also remarkable given that I bought my first N9 on eBay from a US seller.
Ha ha. Well, it wasn't me. I still have mine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I know I imported at least 33 of them. Sold all but 2 of them - mainly through this forum for little to no profit, just wanted to share the awesomeness of the Nokia N9.

They were relatively easy to get.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I know I imported at least 33 of them. Sold all but 2 of them - mainly through this forum for little to no profit, just wanted to share the awesomeness of the Nokia N9.

They were relatively easy to get.
Mine was the Singapore variant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
I bought my first N9 from Amazon here in the US. And it worked great with T-Mobile on 3g.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I as well am using Sailfish in the United States. My wife uses the Xperia X and I have Moto G4 Plus as hobby/developer device.

Concerning the N9 subject I bought one from eBay seller located in US. Later on at some point I was surprised to find it on sale at at Fry's Electronics...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Pennsylvaina, USA
Back when Sailfish X went live, I automatically assumed that anybody could download and install it. I finally made a Jolla login a couple weeks ago (the Together server login still fails; hope the developer returns from vacation soon...) and was shocked that it still excludes most anyone outside Europe. Thanks for the reassurance that the process is still do-able.

But to other USA users, does the current state of the OS leave anything out geographically or linguistically? Is there a USA keyboard? Is text completion in British English? Are there any problems with maps or with the weather, err, widget? I assume that acquiring OS updates doesn't need a VPN?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thetao For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
There is only one English keyboard (not that it matters, it's not like there is some standard for mobile keyboards anyway) but in the Language settings there are options for English (UK) and English (US). I assume those are for UI strings as well as text completion. Weather recognizes American locations just fine. I have not tried Maps since it's pants ("garbage" for you Amies) anyway, I use WhoGo instead. As for the updates, I do not know but I see no reason why.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
As long as the phone connects to a server for the updates it should be ok. My N9 that I purchased from Amazon.com here in the US connected to a server and it updated to Hartman 1.2 and I received all the updates for the apps I had on the phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post: