Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Has anyone else had any issues with cloning (either PB's console-tools or Bunason's instructions) after installing this SSU

Question in the console-tools thread

Thx

Sno

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2010-05-21 at 12:48. Reason: credit Bun for clone thread

Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
Has anyone else had any issues with cloning (either PB's console-tools or Bunason's instructions) after installing this SSU

Question in the console-tools thread

Thx

Sno
I haven't done (1) install community SSU then (2) clone, which is what I think you're asking, but I have done the opposite (i.e., ran community SSU on a cloned OS) & it worked.

On a different note, I wonder if people complaining about battery issues after installing the community SSU have installed Opera. I haven't read the Opera thread but I thought there were battery issues with it. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I haven't done (1) install community SSU then (2) clone, which is what I think you're asking, but I have done the opposite (i.e., ran community SSU on a cloned OS) & it worked.

Exactly. I have it running on my cloned OS now (cloned prior to installing cSSU).

One thing I have noticed that might have been part of my problem is that I missed the part about running the clone between SD cards from FLASH not from the cloned SD boot.

I have not had the chance yet to see if it would work....

Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

I installed the SSU on a clone and then cloned the clone - boot from flash and clone from SD to SD (N800). I have no bugs to report of.
If you have battery problems, my advice to you is to fsck your cards. As for the Opera browser, people should be aware, and it was stated in the release notes, that this app doesn't behave like the rest of the tablet apps - it doesn't go to powersave mode. Normally apps don't use significant cpu power when you are not using them. Opera uses the cpu all the time, even when you lock the screen. Some apps behave like that as well, like mplayer and transmission.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to giladmttw For This Useful Post:
@giladmttw

What are you using to clone?

[Update] I just successfully cloned from internal to external YEAH! using PB's console-tools (pb not pbeasy) from flash boot.

Thanks

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2010-05-29 at 14:18. Reason: cloned - success!

I used console-tools to partition, format and clone from 2GB to 8GB card. So now I have the 2GB card as backup.

The Following User Says Thank You to giladmttw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by luca View Post
I waited a while to report this since I don't use my tablet that much but I think (and I may be wrong) that the SSU reduces battery life.
I have to say that I never had great battery life with my n800: when it was new I got max. 2 hours of use, now, with a non OEM battery, I have around one hour.
With the SSU in place the battery life is around 40 minutes, with the same kind of activity (browsing with tear and reading rss with the integrated reader).
Top doesn't reveal any evident cpu hog.
Of course it could be that the battery has deteriorated further, but the drop in capacity happened right after installing the SSU.
I accept suggestions about good enough non nokia batteries on ebay
Ok, that was most probably a false alarm: today, with the same kind of usage, I used my tablet for the normal time and I got battery to spare after that.
I still need a new battery but the SSU is not to blame.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
@luca
Yeah, the batteries that came with the tablets are getting old and not holding the capacity they once were. Old + run through a lot of charging cycles, heh.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
About a month ago I watched a movie (~90 min.) on my two year old n800, and the estimated days left went from 10 to 5. Better than any new laptop I tried.

Originally Posted by giladmttw View Post
As for the Opera browser, people should be aware, and it was stated in the release notes, that this app doesn't behave like the rest of the tablet apps - it doesn't go to powersave mode. Normally apps don't use significant cpu power when you are not using them. Opera uses the cpu all the time, even when you lock the screen.
Yes, that's what I was referring to. Thanks for saying it smartly.

Tags
backintime, diablo cssu, diablo turbo