Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
In car terms, Intel put a body kit on Moblin and called it a day (really, the netbook MeeGo is just that - Moblin), as opposed to Nokia, which got a Moblin chassis and now needs to fit the engine, make a custom bodywork for it, etc. It's no wonder the Intel part is 'more ready'.
I.. am absolutely horrid with cars... but you actually made sense here. Maybe I won't be so critical of the N900's apparent lack of support to-date.

Why did we go with their chassis though... (I know, I know.. whole other debate...)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
This, was exactly what I was saying, is the great thing. Someone can come take MeeGo, butcher it with their own proprietary crap, and it'll sink like a stone because - I sincerely hope - it won't be able to keep pace with working in the open.

Never has there been a better time to show that OSS can shine.
I'm with you, my man.

How about a religion analogy? Android is John the Baptist and MeeGo and/or Ubuntu is Jesus. Android will hopefully keep fighting fragmentation and continue to blaze a trail on Cortex A-[89] platforms that will then allow a real GNU/Linux distribution to smoothly slip-in to say a Motorola Droid or Droid X. That's when we'll know that an OSS handset/tablet OS has arrived.

TI OMAP[34] is the Intel/AMD x86

and

Imagination Technologies is the NVIDIA.

And the in-line kernel changes that MeeGo and maybe Ubuntu will bring will support more and more hardware.

The End of the Beginning.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I'm with you, my man.

How about a religion analogy? Android is John the Baptist and MeeGo and/or Ubuntu is Jesus. Android will hopefully keep fighting fragmentation and continue to blaze a trail on Cortex A-[89] platforms that will then allow a real GNU/Linux distribution to smoothly slip-in to say a Motorola Droid or Droid X. That's when we'll know that an OSS handset/tablet OS has arrived.

TI OMAP[34] is the Intel/AMD x86

and

Imagination Technologies is the NVIDIA.

And the in-line kernel changes that MeeGo and maybe Ubuntu will bring will support more and more hardware.

The End of the Beginning.
hallelujah, and then you will be able to buy a mobile computer just like you do a desktop or laptop one now, same hardware, different os possibilities. mix and match your processor, screen size, hard keyboard or no, and have your choice of windows, ios, linux, java(android),bada, symbian, whatever. just like now i can buy some dell models off the shelf and install windows, various linux, opensolaris, macosx, whatever.

I just read that the Droid X bootloader was locked. Does that mean a boot will fail if something such as the kernel-to-be-loaded isn't properly signed?

I just read that the Droid X bootloader was locked. Does that mean a boot will fail if something such as the kernel-to-be-loaded isn't properly signed?
Correct. No custom kernels, no custom ROMs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
How do you push your platform by shipping devices with the platform you want to capture market share FROM ?
Palm did that when they started selling devices with wince. Didn't stop them from dying though

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Android is John the Baptist and MeeGo and/or Ubuntu is Jesus.
Hope you don't mind me linking to this in my signature (slightly paraphrased for maximum impact ;-).

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Palm did that when they started selling devices with wince. Didn't stop them from dying though
To be fair, I'd not exactly call being purchased by HP 'alive'.

A zombie, even if it still produces phones, is still a zombie.

Originally Posted by w00t View Post
To be fair, I'd not exactly call being purchased by HP 'alive'.

A zombie, even if it still produces phones, is still a zombie.
Just remember... shoot it in the...faceplate?

From what I have seen of WebOS though.. I do like it. Hopefully HP can keep WebOS alive... even if Palm is now zombified.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'm not saying positive or negative. Just different. Dan obviously has HUGE daddy Nokia () issues... I was saying that I feel/see more influence from Intel than from anything maemo-like in MeeGo.
Heh.. not so much daddy issues as much as maybe trust and abandonment issues with Nokia.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I'm saying what does he expect from Intel? Cuz that's the presence we mostly see (right now, not future) - Now, if he has a specific objection to hating both Intel AND Nokia.. then he can hate on MeeGo too .
I haven't had a lot of exposure to Intel in the way I did with Nokia--but I've seen Intel go both ways. I've seen them work AGAINST open-source sometimes, then work FOR it other times. So, I'm not sure what to think about Intel's involvement.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-07-15 at 22:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: