Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Just a preview of what's in store for Nokia if they don't choose wisely....

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Maybe there's something in the version he plans to release that needs PR 1.3?
But surely when that app was built and won the contest, there was no indication of what 1.3 would contain? And if it required that, surely it wouldn't have been good/stable/developed enough to win 25,000 dollars above apps that are good/stable/developed enough to be released that same week to many app-hungry users

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
But surely when that app was built and won the contest, there was no indication of what 1.3 would contain? And if it required that, surely it wouldn't have been good/stable/developed enough to win 25,000 dollars above apps that are good/stable/developed enough to be released that same week to many app-hungry users
the version he wants to release needn't necessarily be the one he one the prize for. chances are that development goes on.

i read somewhere that it's a qt application. it could have been it depended on more recent experimental packages that would have been available in devel, but aren't for software published on ovi.

more likely, though, he may just have forgotten that his work is only a variant of a GPLed free software project and he can't just go and release it as proprietary software like he wanted to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
hey, at least you can donate to the app that got 25k
The prize is split, so 12.5k.

And yes, that's still a good bit of money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
I didn't know of the existence of Stellarium Mobile until I saw this thread. I really like the desktop port and this optimized version gets me even more excited (OpenGL ES, accelerometer, ...). What a tease to have a video of the working application, but not the actual program

Personally, I think it is unfair to get a cash prize from a contest designed to stimulate application development without actually releasing the application. The absence of comments from the developer isn't helping either.

I sure hope that Fabien notices this thread and replies to it. Maybe things are more complicated than we know?
-iDont

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Does Engadget know about this? I think it's the funniest Nokia blunder yet. This was supposed to accomplish what? For whom? Where's that Peter guy who occasionally pops in from Nokia?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
the version he wants to release needn't necessarily be the one he one the prize for. chances are that development goes on.

i read somewhere that it's a qt application. it could have been it depended on more recent experimental packages that would have been available in devel, but aren't for software published on ovi.

more likely, though, he may just have forgotten that his work is only a variant of a GPLed free software project and he can't just go and release it as proprietary software like he wanted to.
You could be completely right. I just think that it's unfair to be awarded such a big prize for something that hasn't fulfilled its purpose i.e. public release.
And, to be totally fair, if what you said is true, the developer should make a statement - here, Nokia Discussions, on his blog, it doesn't matter - to let us know what's going on, even if it's "hey, the app is fully finished now and it'll be out with 1.3 because of some dependencies."

Originally Posted by iDont View Post
Personally, I think it is unfair to get a cash prize from a contest designed to stimulate application development without actually releasing the application.
Agreed. Even more so considering most users outside of this forum are totally unaware of the app

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Agreed. Even more so considering most users outside of this forum are totally unaware of the app
That's ok - they're unaware of the contest too!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
that isn't fair.
we have so many good and stable apps.
and so many really good devs that are working 24/7
thats really ****ed up.
or should i say:
the nokia way of life?

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following User Says Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:

Tags
contest, innovators, stellarium