great app

gets better and better -

would it be possible to have a phone home feature

you press an icon-could be a picture of a house-and it automatically phones home

cheers

et

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Mgamerz View Post
Brightness and Volume should be draggable. It's pretty hard to hit brightness of one or a volume of one. Wish it was like Advanced-Power/Backlight
The last couple of versions allow the use of the dpad to move the brightness and volume around in increments of 10. Tho an alternative could be to put a + and - at the ends of the bars, making them move the bar with the same increments.

Flight mode should turn off WiFi and Bluetooth (and possibly GPS). I don't know if it's just mine or something, but when I turn on flight mode it just makes it so I am not connected to wifi and bluetooth is 'off', but the modules are still in memory.
This is by design i think, and the wifi and bluetooth is no more off is those parts are unloaded from memory.

The volume mute button is very, very difficult to press. You should also have it so that until you unmute it, you can't move the audio bar, because when I'm trying to hit mute, i might hit it once and then one more time, and I missed, so it unmutes it since it's so easy to hit the volume bar.
advanced backlight used dpad center as a mute. i wonder if the same can be done here. Still, i think a better ui mute would be if one had a speaker icon somewhere that was about the same size as the volume bar box. Or perhaps lock the volume slider until mute is toggled again.

Perhaps the WiFi box should show the network you are connected to. Having the... UUID... looking thing isn't very useful at all.
being worked on, iirc.

You should also somehow put at the end of an install/update that you should issue a command to restart asui, if it doesn't already.
This is a bug, the update process should restart the asui service but something related to that seems to fail right now.

TODO LIST

Brightness and Volume should be draggable.
This is already on the list.

Mute doesn't mute everything. That's a killer because I need to mute my tablet in my classes, and hearing the chime is unacceptable.
Does muting with the statusbar sound applet get rid of the chime?

Flight mode should turn off WiFi and Bluetooth (and possibly GPS). I don't know if it's just mine or something, but when I turn on flight mode it just makes it so I am not connected to wifi and bluetooth is 'off', but the modules are still in memory.
So flight mode is turning off your hardware. I don't think services should be stopped when entering flight mode because it prevents other apps from returning to normal mode without a trip into ASUI. I could add a long press on the flight mode button that could enter flight mode AND stop the services.

The volume mute button is very, very difficult to press. You should also have it so that until you unmute it, you can't move the audio bar, because when I'm trying to hit mute, i might hit it once and then one more time, and I missed, so it unmutes it since it's so easy to hit the volume bar.
Done.

advanced backlight used dpad center as a mute. i wonder if the same can be done here.
I actually had this working on the d-pad center button but then remembered I was going to use that button to navigate UI with d-pad.

Perhaps the WiFi box should show the network you are connected to. Having the... UUID... looking thing isn't very useful at all.
It does show the network, on some machines. ICD either gives you the ID or the name. I need to figure out a better way to get the name since ICD isn't consistent.

Perhaps put GPS coordinates in the GPS box? Or put GPS and the green dot into one box. It is hard to tell what box does what. You can probably just extend the box into a bigger space so it's one big box or just leave it blank till you figure out something to fill it with
The left side will activate the hardware and display GPS info when I figure out how.

--

advanced-systemui-test

This test binary has a larger mute button with border and long press flight mode will turn off ssh, wifi, bt and gps services. If it works fine then you can just rename it to /usr/bin/advanced-systemui.

Edit: and volume slider is locked when muted.

Last edited by auouymous; 2010-10-30 at 02:46.

you press an icon-could be a picture of a house-and it automatically phones home
What do you mean by "phone home"?

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Idaho
Yes, whenever I used the original volume system icon or advanced backlight/audio, it always was mute. Never heard a sound. I think I later used the version from extras devel, and it went to full loudness when you plugged it in (that noise it makes) and then returned to normal (most times was mute) after the chime thing finished.
http://youtube.com/mgamerz

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Doesn't work for me.
If I try to launch it in x-term it says only "segmentation failed".
I have hildon-desktop patced by Mitrandir installed to be able use 9 applets instead of 7, it may cause the problem...

The Following User Says Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post:
Yes, whenever I used the original volume system icon or advanced backlight/audio, it always was mute. Never heard a sound. I think I later used the version from extras devel, and it went to full loudness when you plugged it in (that noise it makes) and then returned to normal (most times was mute) after the chime thing finished.
ASUI's mute button works fine in panucci, mediabox and canola for me. If I enable system sounds then ASUI's mute button successfully mutes the charger plug in chime. I use claws-mail and don't think it can chime or don't know how to make it chime. Is there anything else on your system that is bypassing ASUI's mute that I might have installed and setup?

Doesn't work for me.
If I try to launch it in x-term it says only "segmentation failed".
I have hildon-desktop patced by Mitrandir installed to be able use 9 applets instead of 7, it may cause the problem...
I don't see how a patched hildon-desktop could segfault ASUI since it doesn't use hildon-desktop or any of those hildon libraries. I haven't installed the patches so I can't confirm that they don't break it.

Works fine with the patches for me.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Anyway, it doesn't work. Power button do nothing, no Lock screen notifications, etc.

@kroll, do you know how to use gdb to find where it is crashing?

install gdb or download and install deb from gdb_6.8-3maemo2_armel.deb

download advanced-systemui-test to /root/

> gdb -q advanced-systemui-test
(gdb) run
it segfaults...
(gdb) bt
info on where it crashed...
(gdb) q

Tags
bada blows, bada rox