Posts: 43 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Saint Paul, mn
This would be awesome! I have money to buy this as a beta now.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I'd rather see VMWare on an N800/N810, running Maemo and Android simultaneously.

And, more than that, I'd rather see an N97 doing it. That would be quite cool.

(as long as I'm dreaming... an N97 scaled up to N810 screen size, 5 row keyboard, dpad and android's 5 buttons on the face, dual SIM slots, quadband GSM, able to do both AT&T and T-Mobile 3G, long battery life, and running Maemo and Android)

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm with Kozzi. That seemed suspiciously fast.

I suspect trickery... Look at the last screen in the video, where the earth is spinning in Android. The screen is refreshing strangely; there's some kind of brief flash every so often. Perhaps there's more VNC than VMWare in that N800.
It's not clear to me what VMWare is running on. Is it good ol' Maemo 4.1 or what?

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Florida
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
It's not clear to me what VMWare is running on. Is it good ol' Maemo 4.1 or what?
When VMware says "bare metal solution" they are referring to their own highly customized and trimmed down version of Linux. It is the "hypervisor" and runs directly on the hardware. No other OS running beneath it, just like their ESX product. It would have to be flashed into the unit.

As to the flickering in the screen, that is probably the video driver trying to share the display as CE tries to replot at the same time the globe is spinning. I would expect video to suffer if both screens are displaying simultaneously. (then again, that is an alpha release driver, no doubt)

As to the demo itself, you will note that the CE machine is basically doing extremely little (as noted by the CPU meters). I'd guess that spinning that globe was sucking down almost all the CPU time (again, as noted by the CPU meter).

I'm pretty sure they're targeting this as more of a switching mechanism, but with the side benefit that the "background" OS can still continue to process ... but at a degraded speed.

On the other hand, I know VMware, and as soon as you stop doing CPU intensive tasks on the "foreground" OS, the "background" OS will start taking as many cycles as you let loose of, if it needs them. VMware does the CPU load balancing, so this is not fakery, just some very good and fast low-level programming by VMware.

Ken

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klatham For This Useful Post:
holy crap this is amazing, this puts the software library way up with the n8*0 devices. now we can play wince games

Another video

Last edited by Voltron; 2009-02-26 at 03:54.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Lol, I like how the only application they run is solitaire and "the globe."

And how are drivers going to work? GPU does not even work on desktop VMWare yet...

And the N800 has a 400mhz cpu

But, I am excited for the future.

(Ironic how they did not use Maemo... Looks like Nokia made a great hardware product, but epic failed on the software)

(just kidding, please don't kill me)

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

maybe with this we could have some decent alternative gps software to use on the n810

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Lets not forget this software is not targeted at the end user.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Lets not forget this software is not targeted at the end user.
What? From what I see, the whole point is that you can run your "business OS" with your "personal OS". Obviously they are not going to give us the software like on the desktop, but it is still targeted to the end user.

IMO, why the hell would you need a separate OS for business and personal, unless you are very concerned about security.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I mean the end user won't have the possibility to control it, hell he won't even know it's there...