Active Topics

Poll: Are you moving to OS2008 now or waiting for the official release?
Poll Options
Are you moving to OS2008 now or waiting for the official release?

BTW, I'd love to see Xournal ported to OS 2008 too. Anyone working on that?

I installed OS2008 last night. It was pretty straightforward, but I wonder if I can/should turn off the dev mode that was activated in the install process. I get a lot of diagnostic info during boot.

The lack of ported apps is a problem, although presumably time will solve that. I had forgotten how truly awful the standard mail client is, particularly in IMAP mode. The apps I miss most are Skype, Claws Mail and AisleRiot Solitaire. Maemo Mapper is gone and the Navicore mapper can't seem to download the 700-megabyte eastern US maps. (I don't have a GPS anyway.)

So far I have not been able to connect via Bluetooth/GPRS, which may be the OS or T-Mobile's fault. Can't tell. And the Bluetooth daemon was eating CPU like mad last night, forcing a reboot.

I was able to install Python, Pidgin, Kagu, UKMP, et cetera after adding the appropriate repositories.

The UI is visually MUCH nicer and the transparent applets are cool. I can't tell much about speed; it may be faster but 20 percent isn't going to make your socks roll up and down. I'm really happy to see Nokia moving in the direction of a standard release for both 800 and 810, and look forward to the "real" release.

I am ready but from what I see 3rd party app wise I'm going to wait until the apps I use most show up on maemo! Rhapsody is ready but thIngs like SKYPE, Pidgin, etc. I haven't seen anything yet. Once they show up I'm all over it!

Now to start saving all my repository settings before they get dumped when I update! Is there anything else I should save i.e. Contacts and the like?

I installed OS2008 and then went back to OS2007 because mplayer is buggy. Seek, suspend/resume don't work.(A-V goes out of sync) The mplayer GUI also doesn't work.

Only way to get it working is to use the command line and for seeking use -ss hh:mm:ss. I will wait until mplayer gets fixed or I might fix it on my own if time permits. I just installed scratchbox2 and qemu.

BTW Is the MBX chip deactivated? Will developing a 2.6.x driver solve most of our problems?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Has OpenSSH (client and/or server) been ported yet?

The non-bundled things I depend on are:

a) OpenSSH and the advanced xterm
b) pidgin
c) Tasks (though, it has GUI issues, it's still mostly useful/usable)
d) simple launcher

And it'd be nice to have VNC, Dates, Maemo Recorder, and Camera, as well.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
openssh, openssh-client and openssh-server packages are all available via Application Manager in OS2008 - make sure you enable the "extras" catalogue/repository.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post

a) OpenSSH and the advanced xterm
b) pidgin
c) Tasks (though, it has GUI issues, it's still mostly useful/usable)
d) simple launcher
OpenSSH is ported but mine is complaining about RSA signatures having changed.

Pidgin is ported and works. I received an error/failure message on installing the AIM protocol, but it did install and I am able to connect with AOL.

As far as I know, none of the GPE stuff is ported, including Tasks.

Others have reported Simple Launcher works, but lacks transparency.

Originally Posted by yelvington View Post
OpenSSH is ported but mine is complaining about RSA signatures having changed.
Delete the .ssh/known_hosts file in your home directory and you will be able to login.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by yelvington View Post
As far as I know, none of the GPE stuff is ported, including Tasks.
Tasks isn't a GPE app, as far as I know.

But thanks (to you and the others) for all of the info. Looks like I'll be able to upgrade as soon as I have the time :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ SWEDEN
Thank you developers ...thank you community for letting us in...Tried 2008 OS, installation was easy. Like so many others ....I LOVE IT !!!, Faster, GOOD LOOKING, fingerfriendly, This is what I call a real uppgrade ! The GPS gets more integrated in the OS (Nokia please keep that GPS OS integration for us n800 users too). And I noticed the the NOKIA envirometal concern advicing you to unplug the charger when battery is fully loaded. ;-) The Internet tablet is not at static device....it is getting better and better . Keep up the good work Small steps Big steps but continue to improve