Considering that some of Nokias competitors (like Motorola, Panasonic and Sony) use Qt, i would not be surprised if Nokia tried to close Qt development as far as possible to have the an advantage over the other users..

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New York
I guess they really saved money from that Germany plant

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by zeez View Post
Considering that some of Nokias competitors (like Motorola, Panasonic and Sony) use Qt, i would not be surprised if Nokia tried to close Qt development as far as possible to have the an advantage over the other users..
Wasn't QT GPL-ed recently?

Yes but that doesn't mean future versions/extensions have to be...

According to Trolltech:

"In Trolltech, we have for a long time had a vision of “Qt Everywhere”. Being acquired by Nokia, we will continue to provide you with the most advanced cross-platform software framework for desktop and devices in the market. There will be further investments in Qt and Qtopia and an even better long-term security in your decision to choose Trolltech for your business."

I don't think Trolltech will be foolish enough to drop support to their current clients. For current clients to look for other solutions -- that's another matter.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I'm surprised we haven't heard from penguinbait yet. I bet this news will make for less effort in his KDE-on-NIT project.

I also sort of wonder, in the back of my mind, if this might lead to KDE-on-NIT (or something a lot like it) being the official Maemo GUI.
It's not that I'm enjoying the role of Suspicious Muttering Bastard [*], but does anyone remember what happened when Nokia took over the Bluetooth Applet project from community developers and gave us their own, "improved" version?

____
[*]: Yeah, I lie: I so do like that role.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
does anyone remember what happened when Nokia took over the Bluetooth Applet project from community developers and gave us their own, "improved" version?
Yeah, the icon turned blue.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I wonder how this affect Maemo as a whole. I guess an updated Qt library for Maemo will be released and current Qt-based apps will be easier to port. It's either that or Maemo will be replaced by KDE, which is a bit too drastic.
Maemo is more than just the GUI isn't it? It's Nokia's linux platform as a whole (Debian + Hildon + core Apps), isn't it? Isn't it more like Hildon would get replaced by KDE? KDE would become the GUI component of Maemo?

It would be drastic... but would it be better? (I honestly don't know) You'd get all of the things that come with KDE. You might lose some of the things that Hildon had. You'll be disrupting something that was already trying to solidify and stabilize for mass market consumption. (but maybe KDE will bring that solidified/stabilized presence?)

Personally I prefer developing for GTK+ much more than QT, because most development in QT is done in C++.. which I dislike intensely. Even something as (at this stage) rudimentary as the Vala quasi-compiler w/gtk/Hildon looks as a much better option for me at least.

As for the announcement, I have to agree with that anonymous commenter (see the original blog) who questioned the strategy as far as Maemo is concerned. (For mobile phone systems I guess it's possible to see a way though.)

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
This can be nothing but wonderful news. What does it mean? who knows, I like the qt everywhere sound. Perhaps a custom qt based OS, I prefer that they stay away from embedded, Perhaps an optimized version of KDE in the future for mid-size screens. Could it mean when I turn on my Nokia device I have a choice like on every other linux system. Perhaps some eyes are opening, and that can only be good news.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.