Seems to me that a backend that allows traditiional Linux graphics stuff (x, egl, whatever else desktops use these days) to run on top of graphics drivers meant for Android is a project a bunch of different mobile linux efforts would fund useful...

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Seems to me that a backend that allows traditiional Linux graphics stuff (x, egl, whatever else desktops use these days) to run on top of graphics drivers meant for Android is a project a bunch of different mobile linux efforts would fund useful...
There is EGL/Wayland integration in libhybris, used by SailfishOS, Plasma Mobile, LuneOS, etc it's just that they don't use X server.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Seems like there are 2 things needed, one is an xorg ddx to do the same job as xserver-xorg-video-omapofb on the N900 and then some glue to link x and egl doing the same job as the wsegl dri2 blob on the N900 (a modern OS would presumably be using wayland and xwayland instead)

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes but the thing is, you want to be rid of systemd.
Take it from someone who's paid job is to work with systemd!
I did not mean to start a debate here, but I must point out that I have heard a lof of emotional response and negativity towards systemd, but haven't heard of any concrete and relevant problem with it. Personally, I've been using it since 2010 (Fedora 15) and it was a smooth experience.
I am sure anything I say will be disregarded by systemd afficiandos but I still will open up about the issue.

As an end user you probably have no problems with systemd, it is just like any other init system to start up your computer so you can get to the point of using your thingy, whether it be a desktop, a phone, a television, a washing machine, a car or whatever.

However for a developer who is actually creating the end user experience these things are pretty important. My work pretty much falls between the phase when the kernel first stage loader starts and when the init process has fired up the final set of daemons setting up the box to behave like an user wants.

Now my gripes against systemd are because it tries to be too much! It contains duplicity of functions normally handled by trusty unix pieces, and hides the internals to try to smooth things up. But when you are building a system you want to be in control of how and when things happen, systemd gets in the way of that work.

Also journal is everything but optimized; there are severe problems with it and debugging those are real pain. It might sound like a good idea to integrate logging to the initializing system but take my word for it, it has caused considerable pain. (timing changes cause journal to mixup or miss lines, lots of writing blocks parts of the system for ages, races in places where it doesn't block, integrity failures in reboots and as the bloody piece is comprised of binary records! handling those when rotating logs takes *time*!...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Can we stop arguing over whether systemd is good or bad and get back to charting the future of Maemo?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Seems like there are 2 things needed, one is an xorg ddx to do the same job as xserver-xorg-video-omapofb on the N900 and then some glue to link x and egl doing the same job as the wsegl dri2 blob on the N900 (a modern OS would presumably be using wayland and xwayland instead)
X and wayland on the same hw is like crossing the streams.
Either you have wayland + x support, or you only have x.
So how your wsegl dri2/whatnot should look like heavily depends on the way you take.

EDIT : one could wonder how it comes there's no wayland support in X..

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2017-10-27 at 09:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
At this point it would be better for all the targets (including N900) to standardise on a modern version of xorg. N900 would use xserver-xorg-video-fbdev ported to modern xorg along with the reverse engineered wsegl dri2 blob modified as necessary. (and maye be changed to use omapdrm later) Android targets could use a hwcompositor ddx plus appropriate egl glue. And so on

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
At this point it would be better for all the targets (including N900) to standardise on a modern version of xorg. N900 would use xserver-xorg-video-fbdev ported to modern xorg along with the reverse engineered wsegl dri2 blob modified as necessary. (and maye be changed to use omapdrm later) Android targets could use a hwcompositor ddx plus appropriate egl glue. And so on
What is the wsegl dri2 blob? Some EGL implementation? In that case, any implementation should be able to replace it?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Can we stop arguing over whether systemd is good or bad and get back to charting the future of Maemo?
How exactly do you want to talk about the future of something and avoid talking about the merits of one of that something's potential future components?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
How exactly do you want to talk about the future of something and avoid talking about the merits of one of that something's potential future components?
I agree with @pichlo on at least this point wholeheartedly; Choosing the appropriate init system is of utmost importance to the project!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: