Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
I think that I have had enough of not only the disposable smartphone world ..dominated by corps. with super crappy ..."everything"...(I can't just focus on 1 negative...there are simply too many...)

and I think I have had a lifetime's fill of "hoped-for" alternatives ...which just seem to keep on coming...but can't deliver what is needed (not that it isn't for lack of trying...)

I intend to keep farting about with my N.I.T.'s

But..
I am going to buy a pi 3 and turn it into a mobile mini tablet. ..
raspbian or arch is fine with me..
and the moment that the Zerophone starts their preorder ...order ..or what have you...
I am buying one.

I am quite sick of the deliberately constructed ..bottomless - money pit of obsolescent-based disposable toxic-landfill-creating wasteful devices that has come to be...
this "system" ...
which has invaded every nook and cranny of the industry.

for the longest time I have seen the pi and beagle, pocketchip ..etc...as purely "hobby" hacking...
it has steadily been showing that it is moving more and more deliberately and with a great deal of weight and strength behind the movement ...heading toward daily mainstream usage..

I am all for this alternative.
I have/had the exact same thoughts, when looking at the market right now. If I wasn't this lazy, I would've build such a device myself already
I'd love to see a thread from you, on how you gonna build it, though.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
My brand new GPD Pocket (default Win10, to be sidelined)
has arrived,
but the unBoxing did not go exactly as planned.

I do hope she will give it back to me...
Attached Images

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2017 @ UK- Teddington
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
My brand new GPD Pocket (default Win10, to be sidelined)
has arrived,

How much did this cost?

The Following User Says Thank You to sally_sally For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sally_sally View Post
How much did this cost?
509 USD + shipping

at

https://www.aliexpress.com/

delivery was faster than I ever hoped.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
509 USD + shipping

at

https://www.aliexpress.com/

delivery was faster than I ever hoped.
Seems like you might have to order a second one...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil

What is the problem ???
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Heureka! It indeed attracts females.
9gaggers salvation. At last.

(here is one AliExpress seller with 468.55$ offer for those who need the 33$ DHL tracking option to keep calm)

Last edited by mosen; 2017-09-18 at 20:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Heureka! It indeed attracts females.
9gaggers salvation. At last.
I see that you're also a man of culture. Nice to greet you, fellow 9gagger.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
As far as I see, there are a few possibilities in 2017:

GPD Pocket
Aside of GPD's horrendous communication, at least this project has delivered actual hardware. However the number of reports about faulty machines and GPD's sloppiness in reacting to these (see their indiegogo page) is kind of scary. At least there are a bunch of people for whom it works well, even though they ship with Ubuntu it does need some tweaking before it is usable.
But hey, this is the only device that you can actually buy out of this list.

Gemini
Basically the same form factor as the GPD Pocket, only a bit smaller. The keyboard looks much better though, and they have a great-looking design. They promise to deliver an Android / Debian combo, but haven't disclosed any details. However judging by the SoC vendor it is doubtful they can run a mainline kernel, and even more doubtful that there will be any kernel updates once the SoC vendor moves on. It's unclear whether the phone functionality will be availible on Linux, so it probably won't. Maybe the community can do it, maybe not. Let's hope they make it! I'm not interested to see yet another Android device. (Although it may just become one.)

Librem Purism 5
Good points: they have chosen a SoC vendor which actually seems to support some sort of a mainline kernel. They also recognize this will cost a LOT so have a high funding target (which either will or will not be met). However I'm unsure why they push their "PureOS". I do NOT care about yet another dead platform phone OS, I'd like to just run my favourite Linux distro. Aside of this, the hardware looks cool, but lacks a keyboard. I also don't quite understand Purism's laptops: they ship outdated but _very_ expensive hardware.

Neo900
I wish success to the project, but personally I don't think I would need a device of the 3.5" form factor anymore, especially not with 2009 hardware. Does not seem significantly better than the N900 to justify its price. Also seems unlikely to get released in 2017.

Pyra
At least this is more than vapourware, but not by much. The device sets realistic expectations with regards to size and performance, but I don't understand why they are fixated on "gaming controls" and that bulk makes the device look unappealing. Unlikely to get released in 2017 but at least the project seems to make steady progress.

"chenphone"
Looks very pretty and "nice on paper" but so far it's just vapourware. Until they make good on their current / previous campaigns, I won't take those guys seriously. Very unlikely to get released in 2017.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Venemo; 2017-09-19 at 13:37.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2017 @ UK- Teddington
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
As far as I see, there are a few possibilities in 2017:

GPD Pocket
Aside of GPD's horrendous communication, at least this project has delivered actual hardware. However the number of reports about faulty machines and GPD's sloppiness in reacting to these (see their indiegogo page) is kind of scary. At least there are a bunch of people for whom it works well, even though they ship with Ubuntu it does need some tweaking before it is usable.
But hey, this is the only device that you can actually buy out of this list.

Gemini
Basically the same form factor as the GPD Pocket, only a bit smaller. The keyboard looks much better though, and they have a great-looking design. They promise to deliver an Android / Debian combo, but haven't disclosed any details. However judging by the SoC vendor it is doubtful they can run a mainline kernel, and even more doubtful that there will be any kernel updates once the SoC vendor moves on. It's unclear whether the phone functionality will be availible on Linux, so it probably won't. Maybe the community can do it, maybe not. Let's hope they make it! I'm not interested to see yet another Android device. (Although it may just become one.)

Librem Purism 5
Good points: they have chosen a SoC vendor which actually seems to support some sort of a mainline kernel. They also recognize this will cost a LOT so have a high funding target (which either will or will not be met). However I'm unsure why they push their "PureOS". I do NOT care about yet another dead platform phone OS, I'd like to just run my favourite Linux distro. Aside of this, the hardware looks cool, but lacks a keyboard. I also don't quite understand Purism's laptops: they ship outdated but _very_ expensive hardware.

Neo900
I wish success to the project, but personally I don't think I would need a device of the 3.5" form factor anymore, especially not with 2009 hardware. Does not seem significantly better than the N900 to justify its price. Also seems unlikely to get released in 2017.

Pyra
At least this is more than vapourware, but not by much. The device sets realistic expectations with regards to size and performance, but I don't understand why they are fixated on "gaming controls" and that bulk makes the device look unappealing. Unlikely to get released in 2017 but at least the project seems to make steady progress.

"chenphone"
Looks very pretty and "nice on paper" but so far it's just vapourware. Until they make good on their current / previous campaigns, I won't take those guys seriously. Very unlikely to get released in 2017.

What do you guys think?
I am really hoping that the chenphone gets released in 2017. I would most likely get it.

The Following User Says Thank You to sally_sally For This Useful Post:

Tags
alternative, device, f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck it all, f*ck microsoft, linux, open source, tablet, unobtainium