Posts: 552 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Not decided
The design is great like your choice to follow this different path with this device. I hope all of us and I will have it on our hands one day. I really can't find an option in the market of buying something that is open, not specs oriented and with a hardware keyboard. Something though that is not applications limited, has poor performance or needs sacrifices having funny problems and lacking of features . A true 2017's N900.

My big concerns are about the time of release and how well/quickly can jolla adapt SFOS for it. Unfortunately, my trust for them has decreased. You have my support. I will be close to this thread for the updates. Thank you.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anapospastos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Small note for the
"I want to run vanilla Linux on my phone" crowd of this thread :
https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

Purism is trying to crowdfund a smartphone that they design from the ground up (their own PCB) based around Freescale (i.MX 6 for now, maybe i.MX 8 if it gets similar support by then) - according to them the opensource drivers present in the upstream linux kernel and upstream Gallium3D all support the i.MX 6 very nicely.

Maybe one day, when chen decides to make a successor of this project, that could be an architecture for a full custom and linux friendly PCB ?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Was busy finishing the Keyboard Mod. But some progress was also made with this device.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIBktqKXsAMkACP?format=jpg

This is the look when the slider is closed.
Awsome!!! hope you add the option for a qwertz keyboard

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Was busy finishing the Keyboard Mod. But some progress was also made with this device.

You will offer different colours
That's bad!

I can't decide if black or silver is more beautiful. Maybe I have to take both colors.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Silver looks great. What about icie blue

That's not a keyboard device

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
The device looks very nice in the renderings.

However I do have some concern on the mechanicals; I have had E7 before, and have on one occasion had the privilige to hold @eekkelund's N950 in my hands and in both of those there is the same difficulty.

The slider mechanism is fairly difficult to open even with 2 hands, and pretty much impossible to do with one hand, even when you have dry and warm hands.
With cold/sweaty/greasy hands it gets even more difficult.

I have almost dropped those while trying to push open the cover to get to the keyboard!

Now it may be that I am just a mämmikoura and not nimble enough to handle such techniques but I hope this will be both easy to open and firmly closed when required.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
That's not a keyboard device
You obviously have never seen a slider device like E7/N950/Lauta...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Ok.

I need this now.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The device looks very nice in the renderings.

However I do have some concern on the mechanicals; I have had E7 before, and have on one occasion had the privilige to hold @eekkelund's N950 in my hands and in both of those there is the same difficulty.

The slider mechanism is fairly difficult to open even with 2 hands, and pretty much impossible to do with one hand, even when you have dry and warm hands.
With cold/sweaty/greasy hands it gets even more difficult.

I have almost dropped those while trying to push open the cover to get to the keyboard!

Now it may be that I am just a mämmikoura and not nimble enough to handle such techniques but I hope this will be both easy to open and firmly closed when required.
It seems, you did it wrong, then
My GF had (actually, has, because it's still there in the drawer...) a E7, too. And she really loved it... She even asked me just a few weeks ago, if it was possible to install SFOS/Android on it so she could use this old device

The keyboard was extremely snappy and easy to open (at least with two handy, why would I open it with one?). I think the trick was, you had to push the upper part "down" into your hands, not just "up" like on the N900 - and then the slide mechanism just snapped up and revealed the keyboard...

In this video you can see it: https://youtu.be/sQO_gkXQALg?t=3m55s

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejjoman View Post
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It seems, you did it wrong, then
My GF had (actually, has, because it's still there in the drawer...) a E7, too. And she really loved it... She even asked me just a few weeks ago, if it was possible to install SFOS/Android on it so she could use this old device

The keyboard was extremely snappy and easy to open (at least with two handy, why would I open it with one?). I think the trick was, you had to push the upper part "down" into your hands, not just "up" like on the N900 - and then the slide mechanism just snapped up and revealed the keyboard...

In this video you can see it: https://youtu.be/sQO_gkXQALg?t=3m55s
Yes, that's exactly how to do it.
I'm not dumb, my hands are just slippery

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen