Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
My head spins with excitement at the thought of this tablet.

Based on my needs and uses, I can actually see this thing replacing my laptop when I'm away from my desk! If I can indeed install Debian, for a complete CLI and for background servers (ie. mysql, apache, etc), then with a Bluetooth keyboard, I can safely leave my lappy at home, and drop this in a much smaller bag with a BT stylus, BT keyboard (or the keyboard dock!!), and a spare battery. This will be able to take care of 95% of the tasks that I do, comfortably on the road.

It would be nice to have an X server (in app form would be nice), as there are a handful of apps that I would *love* to carry along with me (namely art tasks). Sure it would be awkward to work on a 7" screen for long periods, but usually, I just need to do something quickly, and don't want to lug around my laptop to boot it up on the off-chance that I do.

EDIT: After some thought, I'm really liking the keyboard accessory. It promises to holds the device in portrait, which would be great for emails, document editing, or SSHing on the go. I like the fact that it's mounted, making the two act as a connected unit, and more stable than having a separate fold-able keyboard. Also, the wide connector implies that setup will be a quick and painless procedure.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-08-31 at 14:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Rumoured to only have 6 hours battery life. If that is the case that would be very disappointing. Was hoping it would match the ipads 10 hrs. Guess that it is because it is much smaller so can only fit a much smaller battery but still very disappointing. Changes this from a definite buy for me to a maybe.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Rumoured to only have 6 hours battery life. If that is the case that would be very disappointing. Was hoping it would match the ipads 10 hrs. Guess that it is because it is much smaller so can only fit a much smaller battery but still very disappointing. Changes this from a definite buy for me to a maybe.
Yeah, 6 hours seems a bit short but having owned the N810 for a long time, I find that 6 hours is plenty (I never even get close to running it down). I never find myself on my tablet for 6 consecutive hours and it puts itself to sleep promptly. Perhaps that's just me, but this has never been a concern.

But I agree, more is better.

Hopefully there's a spare battery option, or bundled charging cradle for quick and easy charging when resting the device down.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Yeah, 6 hours seems a bit short but having owned the N810 for a long time, I find that 6 hours is plenty (I never even get close to running it down). I never find myself on my tablet for 6 consecutive hours and it puts itself to sleep promptly. Perhaps that's just me, but this has never been a concern.

But I agree, more is better.

Hopefully there's a spare battery option, or bundled charging cradle for quick and easy charging when resting the device down.
If 6 hours means six hours of actual use then I guess that is not too bad. Not many are likely to use it more than 6 hours a day very often. However, I hope it actually does 6 hours of use rather than something like 3 hours actual use.

Looks like there is going to be tons of android tablets like there are tons of android phones. Where art thou yee meego tablets.

New 10.1 inch, 1080p tab announced. Never heard of the manufacturers though.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/h...-inch-multito/

Also a 7 inch viewsonic tablet but its specs are pretty rubbish. Does seem to have a full phone function so if you are crazy you could use it as a phone and get rid of your N900 or Dell Streak.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/v...l-phone-funct/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
I bet it's 6 hours actual usage. Apparently the Galaxy S has great battery life (around the same) and can carry individuals through a day with heavy usage. With a bluetooth headset that you can answer calls with, the tablet can function just like a phone, though holding it to your head would be a bit much.

Indeed there are many tablets coming! There will be a 10" Tab from Samsung as well. These tablets look really good. Some of them are running Tegra, which is very tempting as well!

I'm looking forward to seeing the UX upgrade in store for Android3. Since they captured that palm designer guy, Android is in store for quite a UI upgrade in subsequent devices, and I'm sure it will have among the best UI, as well as be more suited for tablet devices!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Here's something interesting. Archos is releasing a slew of tablets, and Engdaget has a video:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/a...ablets-we-go-h

What's most interesting about this is the 10inch tablet running Android2.2. The resolution is 1024x600, but notice how the showcased apps are not simply 'scaled-up' versions of the supposed 854x580 limit. They flow very comfortably into the new resolution for added screen real-estate. Even the dialog appears to have adjusted to the new screen.

This gives hope that android apps will be quickly adaptable to the tablet form factor, and that existing apps will continue to work well. I suspect that developers will quickly update their apps to take advantage of the slew of coming tablets, giving Android quite a large library of apps shortly after these devices begin to appear.

Also, another point of interest is the price of the 10" is only $299!! The 7" is selling for $279. Those are very nice prices, and I'm curious how this computer performs!

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
That 10" is nice, especially as it supposedly have multitouch and a two angle stand. The combo is important as it allows a low angle much like the apple case for the ipad. This then allows the OSK to be used more like a normal keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
How easy is it to type on the iPad's on-screen keyboard?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I've been seeing this 1024x600 resolution profile bandied about all over the place in various rumors. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't going to be a new minimum standard Android profile for large tablet devices (i.e. anything over 5-inches like the Streak)?

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy