Notices

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
This program would be great for the tablets:

http://grecipe-manager.sourceforge.net/

It's a recipe manager for Gnome, the page says that "Gourmet is intended for the GNOME desktop environment, but works on any platform that gtk supports". The download list has a deb file in it but (unsurprisingly) it cannot be installed, I tried: "incompatible package".

Could somebody who knows more about porting things to the tablets shed some wisdom on how difficult it would be to compile that for OS2008? It really would be a great addition and a handy software in the kitchen.

Thanks.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Haha, for me (being a typical 15 yr old boy), cooking consists of a microwave pizza :P

It sounds easy, but the more fun stuff lies in hildonising it. Adding support for the built in keyboard, making it look more maemo like etc.

Well, I'd be happy with just getting it to run even if the window isn't hildonized. I guess the N810's hardware keyboard might work without any special setup? That'd totally be all I need. Even without the keyboard, just being able to import recipes and browse and read them would be fine.

Any chance somebody with the development environment installed and know-how on how to do this could give it a try and see if it it'd "just work" and compile? Even without any optimization, I still think it'd be useful. I'd love to try myself but I just wouldn't know where to even start. I've of course compiled stuff (read: type configure, make, make install =) to install program on my linux box plenty of times but the last time I did anything that had to do with actual programming was in the 80's with C64's BASIC...so I sort of doubt that I could pull off even if I tried =). So yes, I don't even know if what I'm asking is practical: is it ever as easy as "just compiling it for maemo" or not? I just don't know.

And yes, let's be clear about something: pizza works just fine for me too =). Unsurprisingly the question of "does gourmet run on this?" came from my wife, heh.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I downloaded the latest version from CVS and ...

grm is written in python so it shouldn't be too difficult to "port" except that it depends on python-gnome and I don't know if it exists form maemo ...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I tried and it says it needs PyGTK. I install that and it still says it needs PyGTK 8-)

OK, well thanks for trying - I appreciate the attempt. Too bad, it really would be a great application for the tablets to have.

Gee, that looks like an amazing program! Really, quite a unique idea. It's nice to see something different from the typical 'glorified text editor' there usually is bouncing around in bulk. Now we need it to do spoken and timed cooking guides (and lessons), and Linux will become #1 for another completely strange market segment.
A shame it doesn't come with any recipes built in, though.

Have you tried changing the version it insists on? Often, people use higher versions than necessary there. Could be worth a shot, anyhow.
I believe what you are looking for is gtk.require("someversion"), and it is usually just below the main imports.

As for it still saying it needs pygtk, it may also be looking in (or pygtk is installed in) the wrong place. Have you checked where pygtk is? One possibility would be to create a symlink so you have a link to pygtk in the same directory as the main program.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-03-17 at 16:40.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Attached two screenshots of gourmet in the SDK.
It needs hildonization and adapt the interface to the tablets, as there are too many widgets in a short space.

PDF export will not work, because the library needed is not available in maemo.

This night is a good night for programming so I will advance something, at least the main screen, the screen showing the recipes and the edit recipe screen.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I'm wishing you the best of luck on that!

I'm tired of my wife only knowing how to microwave soup, hopefully this will be something that catches her interest.

What library's it use?
Ghostscript is used by Xournal for that; not sure what repo, but it is available.