any chance on making the karmic version (if/when) with an equivalent to easy mer/deblet?

The download link for the rootfs deosnt work, where can i get it from?

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I do have an experimental Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) image avalible from here - but keep in mind that Ubuntu Lucid is built on armv7, not armv6 - so this won't work on the N770/N800/N810, unfortunately..

Also keep in mind that this image is a bootstrap of alpha1, and there seems to be some serious bugs with apt/dpkg that make it almost unusable.

But I'll be uploading a refreshed image soon which should hopefully omit this issue.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Does that mean it can't be built for n810? or just your image isn't built for it?

considering the position that n810 owners have been put in, there's a need for a more modern OS and, for me, Mer just doesn't cut it.. just an opinion..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sopsmattw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by sopsmattw View Post
Does that mean it can't be built for n810? or just your image isn't built for it?
Canonical decided that as of 10.04, only armv7 (Cortex-A8) or later would be supported, so unless you somehow had the resources/power to cross-compile the thousands of packages that make up lucid, you won't see lucid on the N810 any time soon.

However, Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) is fully optimized for armv6 - so you should not run into any issues trying to run 9.10 on your tablet
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

Last edited by b-man; 2010-03-16 at 22:47. Reason: rephrase

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Yeah.. i tried to play around with it a little bit but ran into learning curve issues..

Do you have a HowTo to get me started? I found a kernel and rootfs image made by another guy but it just sent my n810 into a fast reboot loop.

You can use my original post as a reference - just make sure you read this post before adding the repository URLs to /etc/apt/sources.list. Also, keep in mind that you will run into a LOT of broken package versions/dependences since this port hasn't been active in almost a year. However, you might still be able to get it working using Stskeeps's old Deblet repository or borrow some packages from Mer's repository.

Btw, you should not need a custom kernel to run Ubuntu - Diablo's kernel should do just fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Hey,
I really like the looks of this. I have tried android, mer, and a few others on my Nokia 810, but I would love to try ubuntu. The reason I am posting is because the link to your bootstrap image is down, and has been down for a very long time. Is there a way I could get that image? Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to kernel-panic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kernel-panic View Post
Hey,
I really like the looks of this. I have tried android, mer, and a few others on my Nokia 810, but I would love to try ubuntu. The reason I am posting is because the link to your bootstrap image is down, and has been down for a very long time. Is there a way I could get that image? Thanks.
The original ubuntu-n8x0 image can be found here, however this image is _extremely_old_ and you may have issues installing packages due to broken/outdated dependencies.

Originally Posted by b-man View Post
The original ubuntu-n8x0 image can be found here, however this image is _extremely_old_ and you may have issues installing packages due to broken/outdated dependencies.
So you dont have the originally posted image, but you are working on a new one, am I correct? When I tried the whole process years ago, it didnt make much sense now I think ill have a better grasp on the whole process

Tags
nokia n8x0, ubuntu