Notices

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
OK! I found a (fancy) name that I like better and re-uploaded:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/snuggle/

Remove the old application with the following (to cleanup all traces):
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get remove --purge locatefromcell
rm -rf /opt/locatefromcell
rm -rf /home/user/.locatefromcell/

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Uploaded new version 1.6-1

Changes:
  • Added logging of all queries in /home/user/.snuggle/.
  • Major modification in the UI - portrait/landscape support.
  • Update in the icon.
  • Cleanup, commenting of code.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Latest update does not acquire coords although cell info is present. Only tested while in one place - ie no cell changes.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Latest update does not acquire coords although cell info is present. Only tested while in one place - ie no cell changes.
Hi, it works after the next update. Will put it in my list to make a query also in the first toggle. Thanks for mentioning it.

In general:
Haven't announced yet the new devel version (1.8-1) - didn't have much time really.

It's kind of a rewrite in logic and functionality. I'm not gonna work on it more for the next couple of weeks but uploaded for those interested on where I'm heading.

My ambitious plan is to make a daemon and a small DB to store the cell and location info on every change of the cell tower connection. The impact in battery will be minimal since I managed to make use of the DBus triggers (already in this version).

The UI will be to view live the info, extract data between two points in time (for example in kml format) and plot them in a map.

I have thought of many end uses but my favourite is to have a tracklog of all the places I visited during a trip and check where I've been last week Saturday night! All these are not quite possible now (that is using the GPS) without a heavy impact in the battery.

Last edited by Saturn; 2011-05-05 at 20:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Brilliant stuff - something I would love to have cos as you write, a GPS app doing the same would hammer the battery.

I know nothing of cell tech - can one only get mast info from a network on which you are registered? What info do other provider's transmitters send?

Brilliant stuff - something I would love to have cos as you write, a GPS app doing the same would hammer the battery.
Thanks. Time is limited but will try..

I know nothing of cell tech - can one only get mast info from a network on which you are registered? What info do other provider's transmitters send?
You could get info of all available networks around but this will cost in battery. Here, the idea is to use the one that the device is already connected/uses. This is a function it already needs to do so that it is reachable in the GSM network for the phone function and the device weaks up when necessary.

The extra 'cost' is to get notified and log this change everytime it happens. Using DBus (which is designed/optimised for efficiency) already minimises the impact of the first part of the action needed.

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
You could get info of all available networks around but this will cost in battery. Here, the idea is to use the one that the device is already connected/uses.
I understand precisely: I asked because I had been looking for a prog that would canvass surrounding masts and provide location info on them. Use case: an umts/hsdpa modem on a provider different to that of my n900 and I wanted to know where the mast was for best placement of the modem in a built up environment.

Anyhow, thanks v much

I understand precisely: I asked because I had been looking for a prog that would canvass surrounding masts and provide location info on them. Use case: an umts/hsdpa modem on a provider different to that of my n900 and I wanted to know where the mast was for best placement of the modem in a built up environment.

Anyhow, thanks v much
Ohh. now I understand. Don't know of a program to do this. Nevertheless, when I was searching for info read that most services provide a preload feature.

e.g. look here: http://www.opencellid.org/api and specifically the "get in area" feature.

It's a free service but not as up-to-date as others.

NOTE: Update in devel (1.9-1) with a small change to improve the UI.

Basically what handaxe reported earlier

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Hi Saturn,
I guess this logs the single cell you're connected.
Could it be possible to make it more accurate by calculating a triangulation between the nearest cells, and estimating the radius of uncertainty, like google maps on android uses to do?