Notices

Is anyone using this with Powerlaunch? (0.8.4)

It caused my N800 to reboot when I attempted to unlock.

With an earlier version of Powerlaunch (0.7.0), it seemed to work, but
the LED continued blinking after unlock, I ended up restarting powerd to make it stop.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Nope, I removed Powerlaunch, it was too powerful for me I've simply removed the commented out lines in /etc/systemui/systemui.xml which gave me the options on my NIT I wanted.

>Somehow it was able to boot again. Don't know why.
I see, you have Diablo (because of Modest). I suspect Diablo in booting fault (I even had to reflash it).

>/etc/n800-s2ram.cfg says '1'
- it means that daemon watching when you lock the device. It is convenient to shortcut n800-s2ran-start / n800-s2ran-start commands, they change 1/0 in /etc/n800-s2ram.cfg

>I can unlock it but this doesn't function. Tapping does nothing.
What do you mean? Ping doesn't continue? Or touchscreen is not react? I unlock in usual way (power button, then joystick button which mapped as <space>) and touchscreen works.

>...because it doesn't have a network connection.
Yes, I see that connection sometimes does not re-enabled automatically. I just enable it "by hands". I'll find out how to send d-bus messages to re-enable connection.

>The ambient light is still blinking (maybe it should be put off, or make be red for this current state?).
On my N800 it stops to blink. So, I even didn't think about it.Well, I'll put a chunk of code to disable blinking.

And the last one. Did you locked it for more than one minute? Because I kick a watchdog every minute lest it will shutdown NIT. On my n800 watchdog kicked properly, and it slept for day and night.

Last edited by scaldov; 2008-07-19 at 08:55.

Yes, Diablo.

I don't think I want to disable s2ram if it just works so I don't need these symlinks and such.

However last night I forgot to switch off the device and when I woke up it was off. I put in charcher, and again the strange boot problems so I'm again with the problem of not being able to boot. I let my battery becoming completely full now. Previous time I did that, and magically the device booted up. No clue if that is what solved it though.

Yes, I locked it more than a minute, If I'm able to boot my device again (without reflashing), I'll do s2ram before I go sleep (won't forget it again) and let you know here how it went this time.

I released 1.0.8 (disabled blinking after wakeup), and then I eventually discovered that it really doesn't sleep

don't use it.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Yes, Diablo.

I don't think I want to disable s2ram if it just works so I don't need these symlinks and such.
Some people don't want NIT to fall asleep, for example, when they are roaming between APs and downloading some stuff

That's why I made these symlinks.

Hmm but does it automagically s2ram? Or only when I lock? So for example, it would perform s2ram with autolock?

I guess WOL doesn't really have anything to say in this situation.

I've solved the problem again in the same fashion as I did before: let battery load till it is full, disconnect the charger, boot. 1st time it hangs. Then boot again, then it somehow works. Don't ask me why...

Right now the device is off power, blinking LED, s2ram'ed (AFAIK?!).

Fixing the connection to its state before it went s2ram might be nice... don't know... the device might have moved to a place where that connection isn't available...?

PS: Approx every minute the screen lights up a bit to a very dark screen. Is this related to the watchdog you talk about?

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-07-19 at 20:52.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
I don't want to discourage experimentation, in fact it's really cool to see such projects, if nothing else because they promote knowledge of runtime embedded power management.

However I have a question: did anybody measure the increased battery lifetime with this mod?

If not, the first step would be to check how many days a specific unit (pair device-battery) lasts with the stock idle power saving and stock image, and then how long the same unit can live in idle with s2ram.

When i say idle, i really mean it, no usage at all, so this is probably for somebody with a spare / old unit.

Hmm odd, after a suspend I couldn't use my onboard keyboard anymore... I've rebooted it. Now it is stuck again. I'll try to reproduce this.

yes, autolock "supported", because it waits for two conditions: a) screen brightness==0, b) touchscreen is locked.

My n800 does not turn backlight on when alarm awakes it in 1 minute in order to kick 63-second watchdog. In two weeks I'll get bt-keyboard and test it. But, as to bt-GPS (globalsat bt-338), it works normally: maemo-mapper asks to reconnect and it is reconnected, if bt-gps is turned on.

It seems, n800 and n810 are different slightly from each other (for example, I heard about colors in keypad leds). I'll read about it over internet.

In 1.0.9 (yes, it works, not hangs, I tested several times.) contains code to switch-off blinking, and symlink to n800-s2ram-batt which shows charger and battery voltages, battery percentage and temperature as well as timestamps.

Last edited by scaldov; 2008-07-20 at 08:08.