Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by lma View Post
In fact that may be a bad omen for Blackberry. I mean, can you name one mobile platform that went with Qt (and there have been many) and lived to tell the tale?
Well, also a part of the WebOS 3.0 UI on the Hp Touchpad is written in Qt.

Still, I don't really think Qt is at fault there in this case. Rather outside interference & botched execution on the side of the ones using it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Still, I don't really think Qt is at fault there in this case. Rather outside interference & botched execution on the side of the ones using it.
Devil's advocate here... if it's botched execution, then why does everybody seem to get it wrong?

I asked someone once why they were gushing over adobe air when they could just use qt. The response was that most college students could create an adobe air app and make something shippable. QT on the other hand required people knowledgeable about C and that meant you now have to pay extra for their experience and knowledge when getting apps made.

The guy didn't mention quality once though. Just lowest price and quickest deadline.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
The response was that most college students could create an adobe air app and make something shippable.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, sums up the sorry state of software engineering today.

QT on the other hand required people knowledgeable about C
If only...

The guy didn't mention quality once though. Just lowest price and quickest deadline.
Indeed, "shippable" != usable, or even fit for purpose.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Devil's advocate here... if it's botched execution, then why does everybody seem to get it wrong?
To continue with the WebOS example - while the UI was built with Qt, it can't be used by third party applications. Thats as botched as it gets. Oh and no Python bindings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I asked someone once why they were gushing over adobe air when they could just use qt. The response was that most college students could create an adobe air app and make something shippable. QT on the other hand required people knowledgeable about C and that meant you now have to pay extra for their experience and knowledge when getting apps made.

That can be said of any modern framework. Qt doesn't always equate to quality products. In fact, I've been clamoring to find awesome Qt examples that make me a believer.

I'm still looking. Parts of VLC, Skype and WebOS were Qt. Great. But what I see are better C++ coders that used Qt better than the current crop of anything on the N9 or WeTab.

Qt Quick falls under the same category as Adobe AIR, unfortunately. Especially if you're using prebuilt components via Flex SDK and the like.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
So, what, everyone should learn Javascript?

If a college student doesnt know C/C++ and hes writing software applications and not just some for the web, then that College's Computer Science division is surely making a fool of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to balisingh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
So, what, everyone should learn Javascript?

If a college student doesnt know C/C++ and hes writing software applications and not just some for the web, then that College's Computer Science division is surely making a fool of them.
No disrespect, but what school doesn't teach C/C++ now? Even when I got my education in the mid-90's, that was the standard. The rest I've picked up, I did so with a strong foundation in C.

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
there is a nice read at this website http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1...s_analyst.html

i love the part when they analyst says Elop's days are numbered in Nokia.

Hope this becomes true and i really want to see that Elop is kicked out of the company.