Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Skype dev is taking way too long.... I havent used google talk at all since I bought my n800

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Can the holdup really be that it is in beta testing? There has been a heck of a lot of test time. A friend told me that a day is coming soon when you can call anyone in the world for free with Skype. Not with the N800, you can't.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Can the holdup really be that it is in beta testing?
No. There's alot more to it. Skype already works with 3's X-Series mobile phones. They must have worked out some kind of contract to let 3 have Skype exclusive on their mobile devices, at least for a limited amount of time.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
one of the considerations i have been tossing around is a skype phone, that makes using skype a non-computer based effort. belkin and phillips have a few nice ones. they have ones that connect to regular phone lines for traditional POTS (or VoIP if you backfeed the house from a cable modem) as well as skype via wifi, in the same unit.

i think the full potential of skype on the n800 wont be reached until bluetooth headset drivers are included in the OS. not that they would listen to a lowly me, but maybe thats what is in the works and is what is keeping the go-live date out to june or so.

points, counterpoints?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Guys, when Nokia announced Skype support, they said from day one that it would be part of a firmware update coming this summer. I'm expecting June or July. In thee meantime, I'm using Gizmo.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Can the holdup really be that it is in beta testing? There has been a heck of a lot of test time.
I can tell you haven't done any sort of professional software development before.
Yes, it can still be in QA and no, a month or two in test for a program as complex as Skype is nowhere near "a heck of a lot of test time". Just be patient.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Belgium
All the complaints in this thread seems obsolete to me, indeed, as in the previous posting is mentioned, ... skype will be available this summer. On the other hand, for people who really need at this moment some kind of voip, just use google talk or gizmo, both are available. In my particular case, I am using google talk from time to time (indeed, I was obliged to ask my friends to install google talk too, but that's just a matter of a few minutes of installing the software, isn't it).

Conclusion, just be a little bit more patient, it will come ! By the way, the most important things will be :
- stability
- voice quality
- and last but not least, completely integrated (like Google Talk), so that you don't have to launch the application manually after reboot.

Cheers, Jan

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
No professional software development at all! Well, there was the eight years at Quarterdeck, with beta testing every day, but that wouldn't count... We even had early voip software, long before Skype even existed..

Off topic:

In defense of the N800, mplayer + FLV = flawless playback.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
What worries me is the silence all over on the Skype forums....

Ton.