I noticed while researching portable apps there is a way to get skype operating from a thumb drive. If you can do this with windows, can any linux gurus here make skype work on the n800 from a linux version of skype?

http://www.gruups.com/usbskype/

Thanks

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Simple answer no.
Skype is not open source.

Skype is supposedly being developed for the N800. Nokia made a big deal about it a while back. Of course these days, I believe it when I see it and I haven't seen it yet.

Maybe if you can get wine ported to the N800...

The program and librarys would have to be compiled for the specific processor or run in an emulator.

Originally Posted by DryLand404 View Post
The program and librarys would have to be compiled for the specific processor or run in an emulator.
I have been out-geeked!

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
This topic was too good to be true..

So it looks like that waiting continues..

People forget that mobile devices like the N800 use a different CPU, so it's not enough that it's the same OS (e.g. linux) unless the CPU is the same too (in this case: ARM != iA32). In other words, we don't need a 'linux version', we need a 'linux little-endian ARM version'.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Eureka, Montana
OYE!!!

I thought there was really hope that I'd have Skype on my N800 in time for my Asian trip.

This whole "Skype-thing" makes me very disappointed. I've had my N800 for 4 months now and even though it is a nice little piece to surf around with, I'm very disappointed not getting Skype on it yet. I thought it would take maybe 1 or 2 months before it was released, but obviously I was very wrong. I'm also disappointed of N800s poor video support. Even with the new update of the OS it won't run smooth. Not what I expected from Nokia.