Originally Posted by richie View Post
Hi all

Released yesterday...

http://www.gizmoproject.com/learnmore-nokia800.html

Rich
Like many people, I have been waiting for Skype. However, I decided to finally try the new version of Gizmo. I made a series of calls using Call Out (including a call to my daughter on her cell phone in Spain), and the quality was very good. I was using the headset that came with the N800.

Howard

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

Ok I don't want to rock the boat, but if GizmoProject just became available for the N800, would this put a monkey wrench in the mix for Skype.

As a Skype user, I know that Skype will comeout with the best interface for the N800.

I tuely hope they include a very good video support and other features.

I can't wait when Skype will release their version for the N800.

Regards Robert

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Gizmo is much more standards-based and interoperable (its secondary, plain-vanilla SIP account is one of its strong points). Skype has a closed and proprietary protocol, based on some sort of P2P scheme, which has it banned from many corporate networks for security reasons.
I like open standards as much as the next guy, but Skype for one works great behind my company's firewall whereas SIP (Gizmo or any other client) chokes. Even with my home firewall, Skype runs flawlessly, while I had to buy Linksys WRT router to make Gizmo work without me doing port forwarding voodoo. Anyway, I wish things were different. I'm really looking forward to Skype on N800 (if it ever comes out).