Active Topics

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by cool_guy View Post
What is minimum frequency the tablet is capable of?
I'd like it to run as slow as possible when not in use.
If it runs 10h with min of 160 maybe it will last a couple of days with 16Mhz!
I'm sure software can tag along at very low rate when idle, since it could get full speed ondemand for short periods.
To be honest that's what I imagined by arm's power saving and cpu scaling capabilities
The minimum frequency is 0Hz and it has been used since 770. What makes you think that what you described has not been already implemented?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Due to hardware limitations, anything past 400MHz is impossible.
sorry if i missed something but why is it impossible to overclock the CPU if it's specs go all the way up to a GHz??

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Kolyan View Post
sorry if i missed something but why is it impossible to overclock the CPU if it's specs go all the way up to a GHz??
See this post one page back. . . .

The OMAP2420's specs do no such thing. OMAP2 can go faster, but the OMAP2420 does not just like Core 2 Duo can go into the 3.0GHz range, but many models of the line do not.

The issue is also compounded by the mobile SoC nature of the OMAPs compared to a typical computer setup. Overclocking a desktop computer's CPU doesn't have the system-wide effects that overclocking a mobile SoC will have (like, say, burning out the wifi radio).

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-05-04 at 20:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Then am i right in saying that the hardware of the Nokia tablets has an absolutely different structure compared to the a pocket PC or a palm?

Last edited by Kolyan; 2008-05-04 at 21:37.

Originally Posted by Kolyan View Post
Then am i right in saying that the hardware of the Nokia tablets has an absolutely different structure compared to the a pocket PC or a palm?
They all use SoCs. Which settings can be changed independently from others and which are related is a feature that can change from chip to chip.

But you should not compare devices like tablet vs pocket pc, you should refer to the core chips instead.

Of course the system clock oscillator affects clocking generation, but constraints are coming mostly from the dividers available for obtaining a certain frequency for a certain HW block in the SoC.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
On a side note, I just wanted to say "Thanks!", Igor, for dropping in and spreading a little of the wisdom around. It's always appreciated when somebody with the knowledge takes the time to explain and clarify things for those without—especially things related to the mysterious world of OMAP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
On a side note, I just wanted to say "Thanks!", Igor, for dropping in and spreading a little of the wisdom around. It's always appreciated when somebody with the knowledge takes the time to explain and clarify things for those without—especially things related to the mysterious world of OMAP.
Heh, I am the one thankful: it's nice to have some direct interaction with users of one's work =)

Hi all. I am also curiousc about the overclocking capabiilities of Nokia N810 TI Omap 2420 cpu. Unfortunately , TI site is woefully lacking in information , apart from the ”up to 1 Ghz” assertion.
whilst I do understand that such an endeavour entails some risks , I am at a loss to understand why so little information is out there about this issue.
Therefore I would ask tthe people that have the knowledge about clock/multiplier dependencies for the TI Omap 2420's CPU and components to post a more ellaborate answer.
Since a leap from 330Mhz to 400 was possible , I think that we are far from tapping out the chip's performance.
A hardware spec sheet for the chip would be great.
Cheers

Originally Posted by shockedder View Post
Since a leap from 330Mhz to 400 was possible , I think that we are far from tapping out the chip's performance.
Did you read the thread?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Incredible as it may seem , yes , I did read the *entire* thread .
And, have been scouring the net for more information on this issue.
As I've said, there's very little information of any use regarding this.

If you have no useful additions Antiles, it might be more useful to refrain from posting rather than making snarky, uncalled for comments.

My comment was directed to any Nokia folks possibly browsing this forum (or any other person knowledgeable in Omap internals), to come forward with a bit more information, maybe even the datasheet for the chip that TI is not making available for the general public.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shockedder For This Useful Post:

Tags
omap2420