Poll: Are you getting a Pandora console?
Poll Options
Are you getting a Pandora console?

Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I want it bad but can't really afford another new toy right now.
Same boat here - I already spent all my money on another "toy" - a townhouse

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
I love the form factor and the overall design, but I won't get a Pandora because the keyboard layout would drive me mad.
I plan to simply ignore the keyboard completely! I'm only interested in those other buttons. When I want to type real text I will use an onscreen keyboard and a stylus, or a BT keyboard.

(What made me finally decide to get one was that they added BT (although late in the project.))

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Only? How about having a real software distribution.

that is the whole point why I will wait for a more polished software solution. (but the hardware is exactly what I'm looking for)

Well I see that I'm not in a majority position as usual, but that's OK, I can rationalize my way through :-)

I *am* tempted, as a former Psion and Zaurus user, by the clamshell design combined with state-of-the-art power, connectivity and battery life. Sorely tempted.

OTOH, I'm not really a hacker, not really a gamer, and a bit tired of being a beta-tester. After all I already have three tablets and a Zaurus, it's not like I *need* a fifth diamond in the rough to pass the time with...

So to save my sanity, and as an uncommon last resort, I try my hand at common sense :

* if there ISN'T a second batch, the platform will have failed, and I will have one less dust-gathering paperweight I can't bring myself to part with because I'm too weak...

* if there IS a second batch (and third, and...), which I hope for, at that time there will enough user feedback on what the gizmo is really capable of, what's available or not, where it's going, etc. Maybe even some uncovered glaring design error(s) may have been corrected in the new batches... I guess I can change my mind then :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
1. I sincerely hope I'm getting one! If not, I promised certain British blokes an unpleasant visit from certain nasty, East European acquaintances of mine.

2. About the wireless radio remarks: Pandora has a fully functional USB port, so it'll only take for some OSS Linux drivers to surface for those sticks to work.

3. About the game controllers: I give it three months until some perv hacks them for interactive pr0n. That'll boost sales, especially from this community.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
i think the keyboard is designed for thumb typing, not touch typing.
I'm familiar with this argument as a defense of lousy keyboards, and I don't doubt the truth of it. But it assumes that thumb typing and touch typing are the only two options, and that is hardly accurate. I don't expect to be able to touch type on a pocketable computer, but I do want to be able to type comfortably and rapidly enough to do some serious writing. Thumb typing is not adequate for these purposes. If I could use two fingers from each hand, on a keyboard that's reasonably close to standard arrangement, I could be happy.

In the past, there have been pocketable computers with usable keyboards. Psion and HP both made them. More recently, some models of the Sharp Zaurus came close, but (for me, at least) not close enough.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
as such the shift key may well be more of a temporary caps lock. that is, press shift then the letter you want, not hold shift while pressing the letter.
Sticky shift and other modifier keys can be helpful, especially on small keyboards. But not having the right shfit key is still going to slow down anybody who knows his/her way around a real keyboard!

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
It's to big w/o enough screen real estate. they should have used the entire top half for screen.
PLEASE use the Wiki

I know I going to get flamed for this, but do any of you Pandora fans know if it will be able to run Windows XP?

Last edited by migs; 2008-10-02 at 17:03.

Consider yourself flamed, though I'm too lazy to do it properly. It's an ARM processor; Windows NT has only ever been released for -4- 6 architectures: MIPS, Power, Alpha, x86, x86-64, and Itanium. You do the math.*

*Yes, determining membership in a set is math.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-10-02 at 17:16. Reason: When being dogmatic, research is better done *before* posting...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@migs: It's not x86, so no windows xp or vista. You should look at an MID if you're tied to Windows. I think the Aigo MID might get drivers for XP at some point...

Tags
pandora