Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
So, here is my layout for the brave few! DVORAK
I notice that in your layout you have defined some FOUR_LEVEL mappings. I am curious since for me, the only FOUR_LEVEL mappings that work are those of 3rd level chars who have an uppercase counterpart. But your layout, as well as another I have seen from a French user show that functional FOUR_LEVEL layouts are possible... but I fail to find what is the "magic" is to make them work on my N900.

By the way, I think you could have implemented your layout say within the US section... instead of modifying the "english-base" which affects all other layouts that do a default include of that base.

--denis

Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
I notice that in your layout you have defined some FOUR_LEVEL mappings. I am curious since for me, the only FOUR_LEVEL mappings that work are those of 3rd level chars who have an uppercase counterpart. But your layout, as well as another I have seen from a French user show that functional FOUR_LEVEL layouts are possible...
Dunno, I just put them in and they work...

By the way, I think you could have implemented your layout say within the US section... instead of modifying the "english-base" which affects all other layouts that do a default include of that base.
Let's see, hmmmm... You're probably right, I didn't bother with it, actually as I didn't realize that this would change this at the time. Not worth going back to, as I wonder how many people really use the Dvorak keyboard, and how many out of these actually switch to other language input via the N900's rx maps.

I mean, after updates, my Dvorak layout is almost perfect, within the crappy keyboard confines of the N900 and other languages I use in GNU Emacs, where the Dvorak is the base and every other language is on top of it, works really well for instance for Russian, Japanese, Polish, etc.

But, yeah, the clean version should probably be within en-us.

Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
Dunno, I just put them in and they work...
But trying to duplicate some of your FOUR_LEVEL mapping somehow doesn't work on my device. What "language / region" is your N900 configured for? In "Text Input" settings, what primary and secondary languages you have configured?

What flash image do you have on your device, the "Second Maemo 5 USA variant for Nokia N900" or the so-called "Second Maemo 5 Global release for Nokia N900"? I never understood the difference.

--denis

Edit 2/3/10: Matan pointed out bugs in the hildon-input-methoid framework that prevent FOUR_LEVEL mapping from working reliably. He has a patched version of that module that fixes the problem!!!

Last edited by delaroca; 2010-02-04 at 01:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
From what I understand, PageUp and PageDown symbols are represented with "Next" and "Prior" respectively.

What I've been trying to do is significantly more evil - on my n810, I had the zoom in/zoom out keys remapped to PageUp/PageDown for browser reading purposes. I can get it to work just fine by editing rx-51 (scrolling isn't smooth, but it works)... unless the browser is in portrait mode.

My presumption is that this has to do with the fact that maemo-statusbar-volume messes with those keys for handling the phone (as seen in the comments in the rx-51 file), and since the device was released with the assumption that portrait was phone-only, it's still grabbing the keys and thus my modifications can't get through. Oops!

Anyone else care to confirm this, or perhaps show me a better way?

Although resurrecting an old thread is very unlikely to get results, I have to try.

This bug is still open. Why?
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8695

Can't we just rebuild xserver-xorg-core and be done with this? (Trying that now).

Also, it's nice that there is an alternative to remapping the keyboard, but what about the pointer? Yes, I would like to use the middle mouse button, and am having a hard time finding a way to do so without xmodmap.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Is xmodmap supposed to work w/ PR 1.3 ?

I find that not even xev is showing the KeyPress/KeyRelease like on my PC ...

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Is xmodmap supposed to work w/ PR 1.3 ?

I find that not even xev is showing the KeyPress/KeyRelease like on my PC ...
Yep, still not working.
There is a custom xev that works though ...
Had to change the xkb/symbols/* to achieve what I needed

Originally Posted by radiochickenwax View Post
Can't we just rebuild xserver-xorg-core and be done with this? (Trying that now).
Did you have success with this?

Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I can get a temporary remap using the technique described here.
I've just file a bug about xkbcomp producing syntax errors: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12721