Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
So do they mean Nexus users are that dumb?
Our heads are clouded.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
So do they mean Nexus users are that dumb?
Well yes, they are targetting users from the fruit land here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Why don’t Nexus devices have SD cards?

Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality it's just confusing for users.

If you’re saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt everytime? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? It’s just too complicated.

We take a different approach. Your Nexus has a fixed amount of space and your apps just seamlessly use it for you without you ever having to worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing.

With a Nexus you know exactly how much storage you get upfront and you can decide what’s the right size for you. That’s simple and good for users.
Mathias Duarte wrote this on Google Plus.

Additionally, removing mass storage mode in ICS was mostly done because with MTP/PTP you don't have to mount/unmount the file system.
Failure to unmount the volume caused a lot of confusion when files didn't finish copying to the device, or even the FAT file system could get corrupted.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Mathias Duarte wrote this on Google Plus.

Additionally, removing mass storage mode in ICS was mostly done because with MTP/PTP you don't have to mount/unmount the file system.
Failure to unmount the volume caused a lot of confusion when files didn't finish copying to the device, or even the FAT file system could get corrupted.
Yes I had put the source just above the quote

Anyway it doesn't hide the deficiency of not having a micro-SD slot on the Nexus 4 especially with 16GB being the max storage capacity you can get...If the internal storage was at least 32GB, I don't think it would have been that bad (although I would prefer a 64GB or 8/16/32GB + microSD) but to limit storage to 8 and 16GB is pretty poor for a class-leading pure Google device IMO...

It seems like Google take the highest spec device of the year and make one or two things worse and launch it as the Nexus:

SGS -> Nexus S
SGS2 -> Galaxy Nexus
LG Optimus G -> Nexus 4

I personally bought the first two after the nexus' were launched in their launch years as I found them to be a better deal than the nexus...For this year it'll be either the SGS3 or LG Optimus G or if I lose my mind maybe the Note 2 ...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-10-31 at 10:28.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I find it somewhat strange that among a 'hacker' community that has long championed the Nokia IT line that has required hack after hack, would find the omission of a micro SD card to be such a strong repellant. Has anyone considered uPnP for local media streaming? What about gpg to further protect online data?

I have a 16gb nexus 7, and I have had no problem whatsoever with my local, non-cloud media. I simply stream it from my laptop. My collection is massive. It is many-fold larger than the largest SD card which means that I would need to constantly move things back and forth. Streaming my media over the network is an order of magnitude more convenient than moving it via USB or S/FTP, etc.

I could also use neutral services like Amazon S3 for storage if I really wanted this content on the road, and even hide it via encryption. For those that love convenience, or are not as technically inclined, there are the media streaming services Google Play, Amazon MP3, Netflix, etc, etc, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I find it somewhat strange that among a 'hacker' community that has long championed the Nokia IT line that has required hack after hack, would find the omission of a micro SD card to be such a strong repellant. Has anyone considered uPnP for local media streaming? What about gpg to further protect online data?

I have a 16gb nexus 7, and I have had no problem whatsoever with my local, non-cloud media. I simply stream it from my laptop. My collection is massive. It is many-fold larger than the largest SD card which means that I would need to constantly move things back and forth. Streaming my media over the network is an order of magnitude more convenient than moving it via USB or S/FTP, etc.

I could also use neutral services like Amazon S3 for storage if I really wanted this content on the road, and even hide it via encryption. For those that love convenience, or are not as technically inclined, there are the media streaming services Google Play, Amazon MP3, Netflix, etc, etc, etc.

You are in the US hence streaming on the road is pretty easy for you but for example, I'm in Singapore we are facing lower data allowances than ever over cellular data how do I stream? Its pretty expensive to stream in most developing countries too...

Hence, a micro SD card is the most sensible solution...

Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
Wait a second, how many songs do you have? With Google I read that you get to store up to 20,000 songs for free on their servers, which is enough for me, but everyone's situation is different.
I have something just above 32GB of legally bought music digitalized from CDs, and that's only at 128kbps.

Streaming/online storage isn't as good a solution for me, as I'll soon explain.

You are in the US hence streaming on the road is pretty easy for you but for example, I'm in Singapore we are facing lower data allowances than ever over cellular data how do I stream? Its pretty expensive to stream in most developing countries too...

Hence, a micro SD card is the most sensible solution...
Streaming on the road? I don't even own a cellphone.. And I am in Canada..

But I see your point. Why not consider external storage? Although externals storage is not supported natively it can easily be done with a play app download, and without rooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kytvck4uD5w or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE941Kn6gUo

And this is pretty cheap considering the price of the devices.

I guess my point is this: it isn't really a large problem or at most is mildly inconvenient, but nothing that this community (in particular) should fuss about.

- Capt'n

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2012-10-31 at 11:47.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
guess my point is this: it isn't really a large problem or at most is mildly inconvenient, but nothing that this community (in particular) should fuss about.

- Capt'n
Ya that's possible but what I've always wondered is like what I posted above; why does Google take the best spec'ed phone of the year and reduce one or two features of it and launch it later than the said phone?

Its counter-productive if you want to achieve high sales numbers...Well at least the previous two nexus' sold much lesser than SGS or SGS2; maybe that's why they chose LG to get a higher sales volume than LG Optimus G...

Also by launching a compromised nexus later the pure Google experience argument doesn't apply here since we can add external storage we can also do custom ROMs right? My SGS and SGS2 received everything the Nexus' have received due to the similar hardware platforms...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-10-31 at 11:48.

Ya that's possible but what I've always wondered is like what I posted above; why does Google take the best spec'ed phone of the year and reduce one or two features of it and launch it later than the said phone?

Its counter-productive if you want to achieve high sales numbers...Well at least the previous two nexus' sold much lesser than SGS or SGS2; maybe that's why they chose LG to get a higher sales volume than LG Optimus G...

Also by launching a nexus later the pure Google experience argument doesn't apply here since we can add external storage we can also do custom ROMs right? My SGS and SGS2 received everything the Nexus' have received due to the similar hardware platforms...
The mobile sector is changing the state of the way that we compute. I for one am glad that some legacy PC tech is being left behind in this shift.

I don't think that we can say definitively that this will appreciably hurt sales until the numbers come in and compare it to past devices. I'm of the opinion that the brand, and price of the device is much more compelling than inclusion of a microSD port for sales, especially among the lay consumer which will ultimately not know/care.

The Nexus 7 is already selling around 1M units per month, the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 10 should also do very well.

- Capt'n