OK, so I finally got around to getting MoinMoin running on the N800. (FWIW you just needs SimpleHTTPServer, BaseHTTPServer, SocketServer, and cgi modules installed.)

What I find when I launch Opera and connect to localhost is that I'm forced to connect to a network. This doesn't make any sense; I should always be able to connect to locahost even when no other network is present; that's the point of that interface.

Should I report this as a bug, or has anyone a workaround?

-- C

Cerebus, I noted the same thing last week with Canola and using it's configuration tool (which uses Opera).

I think it's a bug, but I haven't tried it on my old 770 yet (planed for this weekend). I wanted to see if the 770 required the same before I filed a bug.

It is indeed. Bug 339, no less.

You can work around it for now by setting up an adhoc (peer 2 peer) network on the 770/n800.

Is the kernel loopback networking module included and loaded? Otherwise that might very well be the case - check with lsmod and look for "lo". Alternatively look in /etc/networks/interfaces and hosts to see if loopback is defined as a true loopback or rather as an alias to the currently obtained IP address of the device. I haven't got my N800 yet, so I can't test myself, but this seems like a standard case of loopback module missing or not set up correctly. For Nokia this makes sense as they really have no reason to include it as a standard - it takes up (very little) memory and no standard "PDA" or "Internet Tablet" applications would ever dream of using a webserver on such a small device. I however can find many great reasons to have loopback networking on an N800, and it seems should be fairly simple (as in just recompile the kernel) to include this...

The loopback device is available and running in the N800, as e.g. the privoxy proxy uses it.. and an 'ifconfig' verifies this (no other networking on at the moment)

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Hertfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Cerebus View Post
OK, so I finally got around to getting MoinMoin running on the N800. (FWIW you just needs SimpleHTTPServer, BaseHTTPServer, SocketServer, and cgi modules installed.)
Extra modules available in a zip here:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4919

One more way to get access to your localhost server:

1. tools > conntrol panel > connectivity "connections" button
2 "New" button, "Next button" type in Connection name you desire like "Dummy", option button WLAN, "Next" button.
3. Scan networks "No" button
4. SSID "Dummy", Network mode "Ad hoc", "Next" button, "Advancced" button
5. Checkbox check on Use Proxy, HttP proxy input 127.0.0.1, "OK" button, "Finish" button, "Done" button, "OK" button.

You all set. Now if you want to access your localhost, all you need to do is choose "Dummy" connection from your connections list.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :-)