Active Topics

Just to add to that last post, I just checked and the N97 will use microUSB charging, so it does seem likely that the next Maemo device will use it too. Normally new standards start on the high end models and then make their way down to the cheaper ones (and that top-down movement was what happened with the 2mm charger standard).

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Just to add to that last post, I just checked and the N97 will use microUSB charging, so it does seem likely that the next Maemo device will use it too. Normally new standards start on the high end models and then make their way down to the cheaper ones (and that top-down movement was what happened with the 2mm charger standard).
Yes, but there is the whole host-mode thing -- not sure if the N97 has OTG, but I for one will be quite annoyed if they make it impossible or difficult to use USB peripherals while it's on the charger. (Of course, some have suggested two ports, one host mode, and one charging/device mode. I could work with that, although if you're gonna have two, make one host, and the other charging/OTG )

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
They could have a menu that pops up and lets you choose a mode whenever you plug a USB cable in, that's what they do on S60 (and if you only ever use one mode you could set it to be that by default).

EDIT: I see what you mean... simultaneous use of one USB port would indeed be physically impossible.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
If it really becomes an adopted standard, hopefully it won't be long before someone makes a T plug charger or adapter.

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on May 2009 @ England
I had no idea they tested products so... violently...

Mine has had milk spilled all over it before now, day after I took it out the box! It's amazing how resilient that they make these things!

I too have noticed that the charger thing is delicate...

A usb charge would be great in the future, but Benson has a good point! You then wouldn't be able to charge and use anything USBy... That would be a real pain!!

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I put mine in my shirt pocket, probably looks geeky. As a result, I have droped it while tying my shoe or picking things up from about 2' hundreds of times on concrete, tile etc... Never had a problem with that. The charger did get bent, but not completely broken when it fell off the 2' nightstand.
I did slip out of my hand about 3' and sent it skidding face down across our concrete driveway. It skuffed up the cover pretty good. More recently, I was jumping in the driveway again and it slipped out of my shirt pocket falling at least 5'. It landed on the front top left and deforemed the faceplate around the buttons in a way I can't bend back into shape. This sent me searching for some replacement covers that were offered here, but seem to not be available anymore.

I also carry it in my front pants pocket without a cover and usually keep my keys in another pocket. The few times I got them mixed up hasn't damaged the screen.

Overall, I don't see any shortcomings in it's durability (except the wimpy charger plug). I also vote for USB charging, could even live with two USB ports.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
i charge my n800 so often, i had to change the port a few months ago.

the charger was falling out, and all my charger pins have bent, having to toggle it to get charge

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
interesting name 'thegog' . .