Can anyone tell me what the hole on the left side of the device, next to the usb port, is?

Could it be a second mic? If so, could it be used for noise canceling for phone conversations on busy streets, etc. (like on the HTC Touch Pro2)?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Hmm interesting, I never noticed that little hole before. Does anyone know what it's for?

Which device? If it's the n810, the only two holes next to the usb are on the right side (usb is on the right too), and one is power, the other is headphones. And there's no holes on the left, save for the cluster near the speaker.

Probably for the wrist/neck strap, like on other models.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Which device?
We're talking about the N900.
Originally Posted by BouncingBob View Post
Probably for the wrist/neck strap, like on other models.
But it's only one hole, not two like you would expect for a lanyard hole.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
But it's only one hole, not two like you would expect for a lanyard hole.
However it looks like a lot of phones these days have a single hole - take a look in a mobile phone shop and you'll see.

I'd guess that's a second mic, since I saw on the specs it has "digital stereo microphone", i.e. two mics.

I'm not familiar with HTC's noise cancellation, but it's definitely possible to use two mics for beam-forming/directional selectivity. That would certainly be nice to see, either stock or as an external project.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
sorry i'm a little confused by the pictures also. Is that hole another mic or a lanyard loop?

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
sound just like what the 6700 classic has

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I'd guess that's a second mic, since I saw on the specs it has "digital stereo microphone", i.e. two mics.

I'm not familiar with HTC's noise cancellation, but it's definitely possible to use two mics for beam-forming/directional selectivity. That would certainly be nice to see, either stock or as an external project.
I'm not sure what it is either. AFAICT, nothing supports true "stereo" audio recording, so I can't really tell. Likewise, with noise cancellation. Of course, we won't really know until the N900 is released.

Tim