Just dug my old n900 and I was wondering if there was a working spotify client for it? Qtify nor Qspot works. That old thing would make a great device for listening spotify in classic cars etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to keljuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
No there is not. But Halftux said he would take a look to Qspot, and try to find why it is not working. Haven't heard of it though, but you could ask him if he won't recognize this thread already.

The Following User Says Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Yes I had a look into it but no time. In short authentification process changed. Most funktion from libspotify doesn't work but as far as I understand it is still needed for streaming or downloading songs.
Spotify does not provide a useful api so you need to mix web api with native api. It is a mess and poor support from spotify. I guess they don't have talented developers or don't like to support the embedded community.
For authentification I wanted to update the qt library. Maybe next holiday I will have another look into it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
I wouldn't mind installing ubuntu for spotify, but that was broken too. Image downloader reboot phone every time i try to decompress the image...

Haven't heard of anybody using Ubuntu on n900 recently, but I'm prettu sure that Spotify would be broken on some ancient Ubuntu image too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Well, i'll give my n900 to missus then ��
She loves to doodle. I was suprised how good mypaint is with a hefty overclock.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by keljuk View Post
Well, i'll give my n900 to missus then ��
She loves to doodle. I was suprised how good mypaint is with a hefty overclock.
For using Spotify in a car with FM transmitter of the Nokia N900, you'd still have to use the offline modus of Spotify or Streaming over 3G or Wifi (if you carry a 3G/4G) router in the car, don't you?

Actually I skip this Spotify step and just use the huuuuge memory expansion capabilities to have the Nokia N900 deliver music as a stand alone server with FMtx capabilities. Sorry for all the Spotify goodness but I have hundreds of other music not on Spotify/

-For live streaming , the standard music player for as internet radio client can back up for Spotify and much likely surpass it as a NEWS source & music discovery station.
internet radio (god gift in N900 as the buffer in this one is really good, playing uninterrupted on low quality internet connections)

-Standard or other music player for MP3/FLAC. All can be played over Aux in of your car amplifier or the FM receiver.

-Panucci "resuming audiobook and podcast player" is an excellent application to read your audiobooks (converted to stand alone format by your own "creative method") that has easy way to return to missed parts as well as easy FM tx function.
This and other apps show why its so much worth to port Maemo Leste to all modern devices that will accept it. Sailfish simply lacks this kind of ever lasting useful apps.

-all of the above are of course possible with BT headphone instead of car radio. My Senheiser MM100 allows returning and pausing.

Regarding Spotify in cars, the above scenario's make me not miss Spotify as a music discovery radio station and as a bonus I don't have to care about mobile data usage of even low end 128kb stream of Spotify.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
not missing Spotify as we learn not missing N900 glory days...but there can't be N900 Meamo Leste without it...

that said.. I would gladly pay 20 or whatever suggested amount of Euro/US$ or equivalent in Beer of Caffeine drinks or 21st century miracle brain food to contribute for the hard labor "fixing" Spotify once again.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
that said.. I would gladly pay 20 or whatever suggested amount of Euro/US$ or equivalent in Beer of Caffeine drinks or 21st century miracle brain food to contribute for the hard labor "fixing" Spotify once again.
+1
Halftux, we believe in you! Although my n900-days seem to be over by broken usb port (and arrival of Pro1 in a week), I would love to see it fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by keljuk View Post
I wouldn't mind installing ubuntu for spotify, but that was broken too. Image downloader reboot phone every time i try to decompress the image...
Unfortunately the spotify Ubuntu app is x86-only, there is no ARM port, so even if you got Ubuntu running Spotify would not work.

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post: