Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey all!

Is there any way to change the terminal size in Xterm?

I'd like to run it in full screen but only have the terminal 721x480 pixels and then connect to telnet.

Hope that makes some sense.

If not, oh well, oh hell.

afaik, the window manager in maemo doesn't allow resizing or specification of window sizes. It can be done at compile time, but I don't know if the terminal source is available. if you use another window manager like kde or icewm then yes, you can certainly do what you are asking. Also, i'm sure you realize this, but the size in full screen is a higher resolution than what u desire anyway, but Im sure there must be a certain reason for this request.

The Following User Says Thank You to hans-castorp For This Useful Post:
Well, there's really not much reason to even look into this further if someone hasn't figured out how to have the Xkbd's Enter key not bring up the hildon keyboard thingie.

Did anyone problem solve for this or would it be best to just wait it out for the next OS 2008 release?

Thanks!

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Well, there's really not much reason to even look into this further if someone hasn't figured out how to have the Xkbd's Enter key not bring up the hildon keyboard thingie.

Did anyone problem solve for this or would it be best to just wait it out for the next OS 2008 release?

Thanks!
Have your tried the modified xterm with an overlay keyboard ( it doesn't consume screen space):
http://www.dnastase.info/nokia770/

It says it is for the 770, but I have successfully run it on OS2007 and OS2008 on the n800.

I hope this helps,

Craig...

The Following User Says Thank You to cvmiller For This Useful Post:
Hey cvmiller!

No, I didn't realize such a keyboard existed, looks pretty sweet to boot!

The only thing is that I'll be trying to view nothing but text below it so I don't think it's for me.

This is what I'm hoping for:

I'm currently using GeneralAntilles's excellent suggestion of a TerminusRe33-Bold font.

In full screen mode it's equal to an 86x24 layout while in Xterm.

When I Telnet to the Nethack server, I need for it to think that I only have a 76x24 window.

This way, text won't be written underneath the virtual keyboard on the right side of the screen.

Nethack.alt.org will pretty much accept any screen resolution but I don't know how it reads what I have.

Is there any way to manipulate the environment so that when I Telnet somewhere it will think that I only have 76 columns that can be used for display?

One trick might be to find a really wide font that is exactly 76x24 in full screen mode. This could take forever in trying to locate one though, if in fact it even exists.

That way, once I Telnet, I can replace the font with the Terminus one and everything will be displayed correctly and not interfere with the touch keyboard on the screen.

Does that make any sense?

Well, someone in the know please write a response.

I'd really like to problem solve this out.

Thanks!

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Is there any way to manipulate the environment so that when I Telnet somewhere it will think that I only have 76 columns that can be used for display?
It depends on the environment you are telnetting into. If you are going to a linux system, you should be able to use the "stty" command to set the number of columns.
Code:
stty cols 76

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post:
Excellent. Thanks Terrence!

That worked to perfection.

One last question though...

Is it possible to permanently disable the scroll bar thing on the right side as well?

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Is it possible to permanently disable the scroll bar thing on the right side as well?
The scrollbar is a product of the client xterm. If you are using the default osso-xterm, then I don't think there is a way to disable the scrollbar. Perhaps a different xterm program on the NIT would allow you to disable the scrollbar?

The Following User Says Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post: