Notices

The folks at Pepperpad seemed to have convinced mobibook to make a version of their reader for linux on the pepperpad. So maybe there is hope for other platforms. I assume this means mobibook DRM'd books would be possible.

For non-DRM sci-fi/fantasy books that you can purchase, my favorite place is Baen's webscription site.

Last edited by mars; 2006-02-07 at 21:59.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by Neil McAllister
I like to read books using the serif font, and I find that printer's (curly) quotes look better/more readable than straight quotes. I tried a lot of things to get them to work, but most methods don't. FBreader does not support the <q> tag. Inserting curly quotes into normal text HTML files doesn't work. FBreader does not understand the HTML character codes for them. The one way I found to do it is to save the HTML document as UTF-8, including the correct http-equiv header, and embed the curly quote characters in the raw text. FBreader understands UTF-8 and so picks up the quote characters correctly. The one caveat to this method is that the word wrap features sees the curly apostrophe as a whitespace character; if it happens at the end of a line, FBreader will break the word on the apostrophe.
I believe FBReader will accept numeric character entities, so you can use &#38;#8220; and &#38;#8221; for open and closed quotes, and &#38;#8217; for right single quote (that is, apostrophe). Only thing is, the line break algorithm appears to take this as a word break, so a contraction like "don't" can break between the apostrophe and "t", as you describe.

I prefer to format the book in FB2. Then I can choose how the text appears using the Format and Styles tabs. This allows both for centering headlines and indenting the first line of body paragraphs. There are tools for converting html into FB2 format, but the main text must be one file, not a series of html files as connected chapters, say.

Mobipocket have stated that we need the Java Virtual Machine on the 770 before they are gonna develop a reader. I made a post about it on my site. I guess the Pepperpad has a Java Virtual Machine.

On the FBreader page, under FB2 format it says "style attributes are not supported yet." I took that to mean bold, underline, etc. If that's not what it means then what does it mean?

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I'm not sure.

At first, I took it the same way you did — no italic or bold.

Obviously FBReader does show those. And you can style each paragraph as to font, size, alignment, indent, etc.

FictionBook 2.0 resists the notion of the book carrying formatting information in it, but allows CSS as a concession for printing. The only thing I can think of is that the statement means FBReader will not apply a CSS style sheet to the text, even if the FB2 file references it.

Well, not "the only thing." Maybe instead it means the program will ignore it if you apply a style attribute to an html element (such as <p style="text-align:center"> ).

For those who were looking to be able to buy ebooks in a readable format, I might recommend fictionwise.com as they offer lots of books in HTML and other formats which should be quite usable on the 770. Or one could convert them to Plucker.

Jack