Notices

Got my 770 couple of weeks ago and loving it. Been playing with FBreader and its a great program, but I cant figure out how to enable hyperlinks. I have a couple of books that are encoded in html. They are broken down into separate files for each chapter. I can open the index page within the web browser and navigate the book by the hyperlinks. However when the same page is opened within the reader, hyperlinks are not visible. Is there a certain setting I am missing?

Thanks

Yeah, I have somewhat the same problem. I'm not sure what encoding to use for my ebooks most of the time. I experiment until I can at least see hyphens and apostrophes correctly.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
You've caught me at a bad time, unable to check my notes.

Hyperlinking behaves differently in html, Plucker and FB2 files, at least within FBReader. But if I recall correctly (and I'll come back and correct myself if I misstate things now), in the html file you have to use the name attribute -- and not the id attribute -- to identify the linked-to anchor.

And I think I got it to work by putting an actual <a> tag there, and not just putting a name attribute on some other tag.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Further to RogerS' point, FBReader is not a web browser and - AFAIK - can't handle hyperlinks between HTML documents. It can, however, handle hyperlinks within a document.

The difference is:

Code:
<a href="two.html">Go to next document</a><br />
<a href="#second_half">Go to second half</a><br />
<a name="second_half">Second half starts here</a>
The first link ("Go to next document") will not be highlighted. The text "Go to second half" will, and clicking it will move the document to the point at which "Second half starts here" appears. This text won't be highlighted.

Last edited by aflegg; 2006-01-30 at 09:34. Reason: Prettifying HTML

I tried using some html files (actually converted lit files to html) in FBReader and had the same problem. Then I used Plucker Desktop to convert the set of html files into a single plucker file and FBReader works great with that. In my converted lit files there was an info.html that was the inital page. Pointing to that file in Plucker desktop created a perfectly working plucker file that FBReader reads just like the original html files and it is just one file to contend with and it compresses as well. I am very happy with Plucker and FBReader on the 770. I finally have something better to read lit (non-DRM) books that my Dell Axim X50v and MSReader.

Pete