Active Topics

Notices

I'd like to have also longer intervals than now max 120 seconds.
I know the 120 seconds comes from the location library, but still.

What I would like to have, is 24/7 location recording in a way, that IF location from timestamp to timestamp (T is an interval) has not changed more than X meters, then the current location is not recorded. Also dynamically optimize the battery usage according to T and X values.

For coarse X and T values, the program automatically would choose to use network positioning to save battery power to see if the location has changed enough that accurate GPS positioning is tried to get, if wished on the options. Otherwise the coarse location with the accuracy estimation would be recorded.

Program should have flexible (complex) options how to behave in different situations. Like do we make GPS connection if there is not one already, or are we satisfied with the previous recorded GPS-location with the network-cell-code with the accuracy.

Also, would program to keep its own database of GPS-locations according to network cell-ID:s and perhaps WLAN-stations, or not.

There is many GPS-recording programs already for N900. (GPS Recorder, GPSJinni, eCoucht, Mappero, GPS Data Logger Widget, ...), but none of them are suitable to this kind of 24/7 location tracking.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Paris, Fr
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I'd like to have also longer intervals than now max 120 seconds.
I know the 120 seconds comes from the location library, but still.
Hi zimon, what range of intervals do you have in mind ?

What I would like to have, is 24/7 location recording in a way, that IF location from timestamp to timestamp (T is an interval) has not changed more than X meters, then the current location is not recorded. Also dynamically optimize the battery usage according to T and X values.
Yes, this kind of feature (i.e.: have filtering control on position and/or heading for example) has been requested and is already in my TODO list

For coarse X and T values, the program automatically would choose to use network positioning to save battery power to see if the location has changed enough that accurate GPS positioning is tried to get, if wished on the options. Otherwise the coarse location with the accuracy estimation would be recorded.

Program should have flexible (complex) options how to behave in different situations. Like do we make GPS connection if there is not one already, or are we satisfied with the previous recorded GPS-location with the network-cell-code with the accuracy.
The Maemo's 'location' subsystem is already doing this apparently (i.e.: choosing the best positioning scheme).
But for now, GPS Recorder only asks for position from a GPS source exclusively so I will add an option for this.

Originally Posted by polyvertex View Post
Hi zimon, what range of intervals do you have in mind ?
Well, that I do not know yet. I'd like to find a value such a way that with Mugen 2400 mAh battery, I could keep this location recording on all the time 24/7 auto-starting with a boot up, and still needing to recharge the battery only nightly or more seldom. Someone would choose longer period to have the same with normal 1320 mAh battery.

Maybe once in a half an hour, or two hours, or anything. Maybe even adjust the T-value temporarly shorter if the speed is faster, like in aeroplane or in a car, and slowing it down again when device seem to be still or slow moving.

Maybe an option, to adjust T between min_T and max_T so it fits the X. In a fast moving vehicle the T would go to min_T. When staying in one place or speed in the previous N timestamps has been slow, go to max_T.

Also, to the previous, if in the options accurate GPS position is wished for every time stamp, and in some time the device is unable to get wanted GPS position due it to being inside a building for example, the program would change to shorter intervals (interval T2 chosen in the options) to re-try get GPS-position if network-ID has been changed or not (choosable in the options again).

To have it really usefull, all kind of special circumtances have to be thought how to adapt to work as power saving vs accurate, or as agressively or as nicely user wants.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-05-28 at 15:20.

Hi,

GPS Recorder has been promoted to the extras-testing catalog.
Since its first public release, no bug has been declared yet so maybe it needs more testers ! BTW, do not hesitate to increment its Karma

Cheers

Hi,

GPS Recorder version 0.1.112 has been released !

A bug has been corrected inside the converter which caused floating-point numbers to be formated in the wrong way with some locale settings in exported KML, GPX and CSV files.

Cheers,

Hi polyvertex,

I'm going to help you out on the lack of bug reports

I keep having problems with recorded tracks and importing them in either Google Maps or Google Earth (in kmz/kml format).

Before the 0.1.112 release, the tracks looked really weird, with lines going to places of the globe/outer space. Obviously, I haven't been in those places

The new release brings the path back to earth, somewhere more in my vicinity. But only accurate to about half a country and it's just a straight horizontal line, instead of the NE running railway track that I tested on.

It could very well be that I'm struck by the a reminiscent of the locale bug, since I configured the phone to be in English, but with French as the locale for other stuff.

If needed I can PM you my test recordings and a link to the trajectory I actually followed in Google Maps.

Originally Posted by hopla View Post
The new release brings the path back to earth, somewhere more in my vicinity. But only accurate to about half a country and it's just a straight horizontal line, instead of the NE running railway track that I tested on.

It could very well be that I'm struck by the a reminiscent of the locale bug, since I configured the phone to be in English, but with French as the locale for other stuff.

If needed I can PM you my test recordings and a link to the trajectory I actually followed in Google Maps.

Hi,

Thank you for your report
May I ask you to report this bug in the tracker here and post at least both .gpsr and .kml files ? It would help me a lot.

Hi Polyvertex!

Sorry for the long silence, I have recently picked up this problem again and found the problem!

There is nothing wrong with GPS Recorder, the problem lies with Google Earth which I used to display the tracks. Apparently I was hitting this bug: http://www.google.com/support/forum/...5f188cea&hl=en

Setting export LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8 made everything work again

Thanks again for the great program!

Hopla

The Following User Says Thank You to hopla For This Useful Post:
Hi polyvertex,

This app looks super, but I'm feeling like I might be doing something a bit silly as I can't get it to write anything to a .gpsr file.

I start it up, press 'Start' from the dropdown menu, enter 'Test', let it get a fix (bottom left icon goes green), take it for a 20 minute walk, when I get home I press 'Stop', and every time, it says:

'Deleting track file because nothing was written in it!'

And the log says:

2010-08-19 21:19:25 [D] Created GPSR file /home/user/MyDocs/gpsrecorder/gpstrack-20100819-211925-Test.gpsr
2010-08-19 21:40:50 [D] Closing GPSR file /home/user/MyDocs/gpsrecorder/gpstrack-20100819-211925-Test.gpsr
2010-08-19 21:40:51 [D] Deleting /home/user/MyDocs/gpsrecorder/gpstrack-20100819-211925-Test.gpsr because nothing was written in it.

I must be doing something foolish because the UI is so simple there can't be anything else to press, can there?

I'm on 0.1.147. Please help an idiot out

Using v0.1.147 as well and getting same message about deleting track file. I did make a few waypoints and the result is the same.