Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
For me only Landscape works. But I haven't investigated why because that's my preferred orientation on this mini laptop
I guess you have got a physical keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
I cannot use Onboard in landscape mode because its left half goes outside of the window. I have tried to change the size in configs but no luck. Therefore I use it in portrait mode, where it works really well. (Is there any other on-screen keyboard available? florence maybe?)
apt-get install matchbox-keyboard...

problem is that I can't get any other keys or layouts. A "keyboard" entry showed up in settings, but nothing seems to have any effect ...
Attached Images

Last edited by levone1; 2020-09-17 at 19:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
I said I would look at running RedHat based distros a while ago... and time flies by...

Anyway, made some new tests with Fedora 32, and I got the following running without compositor (only the app):
* qtcreator (to test a Qt5 app) with wayland => not exactly full screen (portait vs landscape issue?), touchscreen works, but popup menu don't show (those must be seen as other windows and would need compositor)
* firefox-wayland (GTK based?) gives an error

For the compositor:
* weston shows (no app launched to test further), not full screen either
* kwin-wayland/plasma-wayland refuses to launch as root, and trying from another user gives an error ("Unable to set up transient service directory") and doesn't show
* gnome-shell/gnome-sessions gives an error (GTK based too, seems related to the issue with firefox)

Finally, Xwayland runs (and is fullscreen) and using it:
* firefox runs. Touch and keyboard are not active. Still no compositor here
* qtcreator runs, but doesn't look good (fonts size, dpi or something make the interface not as I would expect)

So it is encouraging, given the small time I spent on it. A few environment variables or file configurations should be enough to reach the next level with a desktop environment (compositor) either under X or wayland.
I will give detailed instructions as soon as I get it to actually work (it could take some time), and will write the scripts to include in the containers application. So far I concentrate on Fedora, but will probably also check with CentOS later to cover most of the RedHat/RPM based family.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
I guess you have got a physical keyboard.
So, I've tried Matchbox, Florence, and XVKbd, and Matchbox is the only one that doesn't act wacky in landscape mode, (but has the issue of ultra-minimalism...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
I found out how to get other layouts on Matchbox keyboard ... In /usr/share/Matchbox Keyboard, there are several files. Some are keyboard layouts and some are fragments. Take whichever one you want to use as layout and move it to /home/user/.matchbox, and name it "keyboard.xml". I'm using "keyboard-lq1", and it's all I need.... You can also edit it however you want ...(I have dpad arrows and ctrl/alt on mine).
Attached Images

Last edited by levone1; 2020-09-21 at 01:08.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
I found out how to get other layouts on Matchbox keyboard ... In /usr/share/Matchbox Keyboard, there are several files. Some are keyboard layouts and some are fragments. Take whichever one you want to use as layout and move it to /home/user/.matchbox, and name it "keyboard.xml". I'm using "keyboard-lq1", and it's all I need.... You can also edit it however you want ...(I have dpad arrows and ctrl/alt on mine).
Thanks for this! I have created my own layout of matchbox-keyboard that I can use in landscape mode. (If someone is interested I used this site for inspiration.)
(In portrait mode, onboard is still a better option for me.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
In case somebody has the same problem.

I had to reinstall the lxc and all parts including the guest distro.
Since that I couldn't start the distro because I was getting a weird error:
Code:
/opt/bin/Xwayland: 1: Not: not found
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error
The content of '/opt/bin/Xwayland' was one line: Not Found

Despite I've installed everything the same way how I did before, the distro din't start.

Then I found the root cause.
I have run the '/mnt/guest/setup_desktop.sh' and '/mnt/guest/setups/debian.sh' commands right after each other and the second one wasn't run fully. (I don't know how it was possible.) There was no error message it just outputted a few lines and that's it.

The solution was, rebooting the phone and re-running the '/mnt/guest/setups/debian.sh' script. This then compiled the Xwayland program and properly put into the /opt/bin.
So, finally I got my desktop distro back and it's working again!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Another good news and achievement!
On my Galaxy Note 4 (treltexx) port, I got the S-Pen working as a mouse! (The S-pen is a stylus with enhanced functionalities developed by Samsung for specifically this device family.)
Both the left- and right-clicks are working fine:
- left-click = I touch the screen with the S-Pen
- right-click = there is a button at the side of the S-Pen which is repurposed for right-clicks (as the device detects the distance between the screen and the S-pen, for right-click I don't even need to touch the screen with the S-Pen. )

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I'm several pages late on this topic, will try to catch up later. Until then, I thought you might be interested in a video with comments and more details on how to use LXC than the first video I shared here some months ago:

The full video:
- LBRY for good connections (big file)
- Youtube for slower connections
It's rather long so check the description to jump to any chapter that might be more interesting to you.

Do you think these gifs and video URLs could be useful in the FP edp17?

Last edited by Kabouik; 2020-11-13 at 19:39.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Do you think these gifs and video URLs could be useful in the FP edp17?
Yes, definitely! I have updated the first post but only used one of the gifs. Thanks for your work on creating them!

Tags
application, development, linux