Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
Yes, of course, you need the source. There is no other way, I am afraid.
Anybody know where I can get kernel sources for Xperia X, 3.3.0.16?

The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
Anybody know where I can get kernel sources for Xperia X, 3.3.0.16?
Try to search on the internet. The code names of Sony Xperia X are loire or suzu.
I found this link where you can find a link to the kernel and device repos for the loire.

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Hello to all ! I am joining the discussion, after getting my Pro1.

I have still a lot to learn about LXC, so need to dig into in my spare time.

So for now I have only a quick question about the status of what I should expect to work/not work.

I have seen on the first page command line instructions, for the ports where the UI doesn't work. illyria seems to be developing on the Pro1, so I assume the UI should work on the Pro1 ?

Then, about the distributions. The templates provides a lot of distros and versions. It looks like Kabouik used a Debian Sid in his videos. Are there some versions that works easily than others ? Some that should be avoided ?

Thanks !

So far, I didn't have much success with the UI. It can see the containers I created manually, but I can't make a new one with it. I can see the status of the containers if started from command line, and can start/stop with the pulley menu. I didn't get to launch a window from the UI.
On the command line side, I could get a Debian Buster (I didn't think Sid was a good idea before seeing it in Kabouik's video) to run, and display in a window with qxdisplay, but only correctly in portait (only half left of the screen in landscape). I Need to do some graphical configuration as fonts sizes seems all over the place.
Also tried an Ubuntu 18.04, without getting to a working display.

By the way, the "new" LXC config files are a bit different, and the first post instructions may need to be updated the following way, if that can help anyone :
Code:
3. Manually add this line in /var/lib/lxc/< container name >/config:

lxc.mount.entry = /usr/share/harbour-containers/scripts/guest mnt/guest none bind,create=dir,ro 0 0

The Following User Says Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
The UI works on the Proš, yes. I believe the distribution I show in the video was entirely installed form the UI.

The installation of the X session is based on scripts, and theoretically could be made working on all distributions, but for now they only work on Debian or Debian based distributions (I personally tested Debian Sid and Kali, both work fine), more work would be needed to make them work on other distributions. Attach (terminal) works for all distributions I think.

If you want to use another distribution with XWayland, just have a look at the scripts here, which are also available in /mnt/guest of the installed distribution. Distributions which are recognized as based on Debian will use setups/debian.sh, but you could make other scripts for other distribution types, and maybe run them manually if they are not automatically called I suppose. I haven't investigated but is not necessarily much work, probably mainly systemd and package lines to change to comply with the package manager and services the target distribution is using, possibly some different dependency names too. Illyria didn't start working on other distributions yet because he first wants to improve the base script, and then try to extend it to other distros.

Did you use the "init container config" and "setup xsession" buttons at the bottom of the container view in harbour-containers, advanced controls? Theoretically they should build Xwayland which should take about 10 minutes, then setup DE/WM, and after that you should be able to start the Xsession from the button above.

For i3 (which I think is a lot more convenient to use on the Proš since it reduces the need to tap accurately on the screen for basic actions), there are other things to do but they are more specific to i3 in general, not LXC, like ~/.Xresources, ~/.xinitrc, and a good base configuration. I plan on contributing to the harbour-containers' wiki to put the instructions together but haven't found the motivation yet, in the mean time I think any i3 wiki would do and then perhaps some tries and errors to adjust font size and such.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2020-08-19 at 11:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
The UI works on the Proš, yes.
Ok, good ! Now I know I am doing something wrong, and need to find out how to do it correctly !

If you want to use another distribution with XWayland
So far, any distro is ok for me. I am still trying to make it work and understand enough of it. So Debian Sid is perfect.
Being a long time Fedora user, I may try to use it later on and help port the scripts to red-hat base distros (Fedora, CentOS), but it is still too early for me given that almost everything in LXC is new to me !

Did you use the "init contianer config" and "setup xsession" buttons at the bottom of the container view in harbour-containers, advanced controls? Theoretically they should build Xwayland which should take about 10 minutes, then setup DE/WM, and after that you should be able to start the Xsession from the button above.
I didn't succeed in creating the container from the app, so I launched all the scripts from the command line so far (and yes, 10minutes seems like what I seen from the command line).
I will try again from the UI, maybe launching it from the command line to see the trace if something is wrong with my install.

Thanks again for your comments Kabouik, I now know what to expect. It may take me some time, but I will keep you updated if I still fail miserably, succeed, or seen some bug that I could help fix.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Silly me, I missed an already existing bug report...
https://github.com/sailfish-containe...iners/issues/5 aka "Container cannot be created without a device lock"...

I added a setup lock, and after some tries (needed to reboot, to launch containers from icon and not from command line to try to get debug info...), it now allows to create a new container !

Will probably not finish today (already late there), but the UI seems to work so far, launching terminal for the setup scripts like configuring Xsession.

Looking good !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Excellent, keep us posted!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
I have updated the main post with some useful info about mouse and cursor support and included some useful script to start the LXC container and desktop with one terminal.

Last edited by edp17; 2020-08-20 at 10:14.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Excellent, keep us posted!
I got an XFCE desktop, and could run chromium on it !
Still a lot to configure to make it easier to use (fonts size mostly), I will probably try i3 but I need to learn it again, I only tested it once a while ago.

I didn't succeed with Debian Sid. It looks like the Xwayland compilation failed due to some dependancies. Not sure if it is due to mistakes on my part, or changes made in it (it is Sid after all, so changes can break things). I have seen the error by running every command of the script one by one from a terminal, as when running from the UI I didn't get a grasp of errors if any. Is there a log somewhere that can be checked after the UI run the script and the terminal disappeared ?

I tried again with Debian Buster, and I got to the end. I think I had to run some scripts manually, but didn't really take notes, I am still trying to understand what everything does.

For fun, I also try Fedora 32. It installed quickly, and command line works as expected. Seeing now a bit more how the scripts works on Debian, I think it is in my reach to port those to Fedora/CentOS. I will keep you updated if I try that and have some success.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Hello guys.
I'm not really good with these stuffs.
I just created a debian sid chroot with the GUI.
But it stucks on "Waiting Xwayland window ..." when i lauch Xsession.
Can someone help me to investigate it ?
Thanks a lot.
(Running 3.3.0.16 on XA2)

Step 5 in CLI :

-

Last edited by malibu1106; 2020-08-30 at 21:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malibu1106 For This Useful Post:

Tags
application, development, linux