Posts: 79 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2012 @ kenya
i have to agree with you Hthe B,,the new button cover actions are a real PITA ,,,they should rethink how to get back the old swipe cover action..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kibet85 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by kibet85 View Post
i have to agree with you Hthe B,,the new button cover actions are a real PITA ,,,they should rethink how to get back the old swipe cover action..
Simple, just bring back the swipable cover action, and make 'changing homescreens' from the edge of the screen, like when minimizing apps

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
That might work on the small phone screen because you can easily reach the screen edges with your thumb.
But what about larger screens on a tablet? You have to move your whole hand just to switch the views on the homescreen.

For me the new 2.0 UX is much better, because you can easily start apps from everywhere and don't have to deal with focus stealing (i.e. you can easily start multiple apps in a row).

I don't like the new cover action buttons. But it seems to be the only real solution for now. I would add a small delay to those buttons, because I tend to miss-click them even I like to open the app instead of executing a cover action.

For media player: You can now control it right on the lock-screen. Very nice.

There are some things that could be better:
* return to app, when events view opened by swipe action
* let app stay open, if device was locked from within a app
* better audio-app detection, to control volume - in Chrome, I have to actually start a video to be able to reduce/increase the volume level, which could be very annoying, if you would like to watch it silently or something.

The new lock mechanism (open top menu and click on lock icon) is something I can live with.

I really like the new UX (have it now running since a few days) - some things could be done better, but for me there is nothing to whine about ('I will not upgrade' shittalk).

It's really going in the right direction.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Nope, you're confusing people dude...
Maybe you have enabled some patch, because even with vanilla Sailfish OS it has only changed media volume instead of ringtone volume
Maybe both of you aren't talking about the same thing; Coderus is talking about the volume in the earpiece and you talk about the ringing volume.

Originally Posted by mced View Post
―GNU/Linux moving to SystemD/Linux. Nuff said.
Please, if you have no idea what you're talking about, don't talk about it.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
(I have not yet tested the new UI (hopefully availlable monday?), so this comment is only about the principle, not my experience with it.)

Originally Posted by ejjoman View Post
For me the new 2.0 UX is much better, because you can easily start apps from everywhere and don't have to deal with focus stealing (i.e. you can easily start multiple apps in a row).
I have not understood why they have gone this way, and don't see why you find it better.
I mean : the OS is designed around multitasking, so having apps opened at all time. So opening apps should happen only sometimes.
On the other hand, being able to check notifications from everywhere makes more sense. I open apps a few times a day, but constantly get notifications about calls, mails,twitts, sofware updates...
Also, a lot of apps are opened as dependancies of other. like the browser when following a link in a tweet from the events view, or the contacts lists when adding a new contact that just called from the call log. So having the 4 most used app as direct shortcut below the home screen was actually good. The other apps are usually opened from these 4 or from the events.

Don't know if it is just my usage, but it feels strange. I will see when the update is there if I get used to it.

Originally Posted by ejjoman View Post
I don't like the new cover action buttons. But it seems to be the only real solution for now.
It has always felt like too limited in the previous version : It needs 3 buttons to control the media player: back, play/pause, next, not just 2. There is no way to quickly start/stop data or gps in the settings app cover (the kind of simple widgets I had back in symbian). And as the cover are always moving (each time you open an app at the end of the homescreen, it gets back first, moving all others), it takes some focus to search where the cover is to interact with it. It has to be compared to a widget that is always at the same place (the one you chose!), so that your hand can learn to use it without thinking.

In this new version, it is even more limited, and hard to use as you point out (remember all the talk about why buttons suck), but it is not possible to do better due to the changes of gestures for the homescreen.
I can see only one solution: get rid of them totally, and get back to an harmattan like multi-task only view.
The media player controls would fit better in the lockscreen and event screen, the shortcuts for data/gps in the event view. As it is done for months thanks to patches.

I am looking forward to test this in the coming week.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
On the other hand, being able to check notifications from everywhere makes more sense
You can enable "left swipe" to show the Notifications even when you're in an app.
So it went from bottom, to the left side

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Please, if you have no idea what you're talking about, don't talk about it.
I don't want to start any (another one) SystemD/SysVinit/Upstart flame war. But there is many people complaining about SystemD overunning GNU/Linux ecosystem. Some of them know what they're talking about.

And I know Sailfish runs SystemD; but I was talking about PCs and servers.

The Following User Says Thank You to mced For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
I'm seriously thinking about not upgrading to 2.x if cover swipes are replaced by a stupid button. I really *need* PAUSE/PLAY and NEXT TRACK swipe gestures in media player, when I'm driving.
in SFOS 2.0 (1.1.9) you can do that by push on the Button Pause/Play and skip to next track... only change is to push on the app card and no swipe anymore.

i love SFOS 2.0... and yes some is missing yet... and yes it needs some patches but the performance is very nice!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
―And, then, Sailfish being more and more "Like".

Idiocracy?
Evolution and progress

I suppose the potential Sailfish OS hardware partners will not accept the OS to differ much from android and will grab a chance in 2.0 to push more "Like".
Jolla will have to hold steady to please the fans of the 1st hour and not reduce Sailfish to a launch platform for Android apps.

Did Sailfish OS 2.0 address the issue of only having 9 minimized multitask overview windows?

It was a little bit annoying to have to long press for the "close all" window to get an overview of the open applications.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: