Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
I planned to wait until the next MeeGo device was released to replace my ancient SideKick2 (yes, 2!), but its microphone died.

I resisted getting the N900 due to the screen size (my eyes are aged and my N800's screen is about the limit of resolution density I can see clearly).
Unfortunately, I'm completely hooked on the power and versatility of the platform and couldn't find an Android I really liked, so I bought an N900 from Amazon last night.
I got it this morning (gotta love Amazon Prime) and tried to see if I could see any wifi networks. I couldn't, but that didn't phase me *too much*, as I what I can see varies at work (we have none in our office, but I can usually see notebooks in add-hoc mode). I know the N800's radio chip is supposed to be one of the most sensitive made, and figured maybe the N900's wasn't as sweet.

So... now I'm home completely surrounded by wifi radiation (I'm 8 feet from my own access point, and with my N800 I can pick up 6-8 at any time).
Unfortunately, the N900 cannot see any wifi network at all.
I even tried entering my SSID (et al) as if it were hidden... no go.

So... I googled, and found that a missing or locked SIM card can cause an N900 to not see wifi (which makes no sense to me, but ok...).
The SIM I'm using came out of my SideKick2.
I haven't yet changed my plan for non-SK data services, but the SIM itself isn't locked (and I'm trying to connect to wifi, not 3G).

For what it's worth, I can make phone calls and receive text messages, so the SIM is working as far as that goes.

I spent the last 2 hours in a chat session with T-Mobile's "support".
The only progress we made (besides testing the limits of my frustration) was to change the SIM code and verify I can lock and unlock it.

I did see an option on the Settings screen "Enter code to remove operator lock", but don't think that's relevant, as I can make phone calls with it.

Edit: Also, I flashed the newest firmware onto the device before I left work.

Any ideas???

Last edited by glabifrons; 2011-03-02 at 03:46.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA

Not sure how to respond to that... none of those are remotely relevant. I'm not that green.

I am trying to probe for active access points, I'm following the obvious steps.
Settings -> Internet Connections -> Connections -> Next -> Next -> Yes (to the Scan question).
It never finds any networks.

This is the most relevant discussion I can find on the topic...

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...900/m-p/596737

Note that it does not see any wifi networks without the SIM card either.

This one is driving me nuts. I wish there was something I could do!

I thought sidekicks used a special apn for data, so if you put their sims in another phone, you can only get voice, maybe the sim tells the n900 no data available and the n900 for some reason doesn't properly unlock the wifi, or maybe because the t-mobile apn for the sim only allows sidekicks, it shuts off data in a wierd way that causes the n900 to not open wifi.

That's all I could think of off the top of myhead.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I used the USA version of the firmware, since I'm in the USA.
Anyone know what the difference between the USA firmware and the Global firmware is?

Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
I thought sidekicks used a special apn for data, so if you put their sims in another phone, you can only get voice, maybe the sim tells the n900 no data available and the n900 for some reason doesn't properly unlock the wifi, or maybe because the t-mobile apn for the sim only allows sidekicks, it shuts off data in a wierd way that causes the n900 to not open wifi.

That's all I could think of off the top of myhead.
Sadly, you're probably right.

I'm not looking forward to an in-person confrontation with T-Mobile reps to try and get a new SIM tomorrow.
The one I had on chat was so beyond clueless it was shocking.
(S)he even insisted the N900 was carrier locked to a competitor and didn't support 3G/4G (after I told the rep repeatedly that it works for voice and I'm getting a 3G signal).

Thanks for the sanity check!

Oh - FWIW, I also tried a SIM from my (work) Blackberry... no joy there either, and it does have a data plan (and the BB can connect to wifi easily).