Hmm. With news that Nokia maybe abandoning the keyboard model of the n9, it looks like some of us n900 fanatics might be in it for the long haul.

I know this is probably a silly suggestion, but, anyone think it might be worthwhile putting together a petition to beg Nokia to release a rev. 2 of the n900?

Presumably they still have all their tooling, and the modifications could be kept to a minimum.

I, myself, would gladly pay another $500 or $750 for a new version that included, say:

- 512mb ram
- separate bluetooth / wifi tranceiver
- hdmi out

No new case work, no new software.. no new bug fixes.. just a small hardware project to tweak the system board.

Couldn't cost that much, right?

Last edited by nightfire; 2011-02-10 at 03:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
The cost : profit ratio would not be in their favour.

Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
The cost : profit ratio would not be in their favour.
Are you sure about that?

A dozen folks for 3 months, changes with their contract manufacturer (or to their mainboard printing).. $5m maybe?

They'd only need to sell 10,000 additional phones to break even. Hell this community alone could probably pick up a sizable portion.

If they added an HDMI port, they could launch a massive new advertising campaign. Bundle it with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and say "ditch your laptop."

The Following User Says Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
keep dreaming

Bah. Cruel world.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
I'm glad you started this thread... I for one would love an updated N900 with more RAM, bigger battery and capacitive touchscreen (so it's more compatible with Alien Dalvik). With an option to upgrade to MeeGo (I still want it on Maemo5) and maybe a better keyboard.

I know it's wishful thinking, but here I am wishing!

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Don't forget dual-core to keep up with the new apps.

And 3G video call, Ovi maps with voice navigation

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
Hopefully the codename device "Lankku" will come out instead

lol guys, guys.. all I meant was touch-the-system-board only style modifications.

Assuming they're still building n900s, and not selling old stock, I can't imagine updating the rx71 to refresh a few of the components (RAM, radios, etc) could be that expensive.

In fact if they added the missing AT&T/Rogers band to the HSPA profile, they'd open up an entirely new market as well.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
I, myself, would gladly pay another $500 or $750 for a new version that included, say:

- 512mb ram
- separate bluetooth / wifi tranceiver
- hdmi out
Capacitive screen....yes... capacitive.
Better for the gamage.
Compass too.

Tags
nokia n9, webos