Android smartphone.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Android, most likely. If you want a decent modern device for general use without falling into any single company's money-making scheme, there aren't many options currently. Unless things change unexpectedly in the coming couple of months, I'll be learning my way around Froyo.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Wasn't the N9 canceled ?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by louiegoat View Post
Wasn't the N9 canceled ?
Some version of it, perhaps. The pics that the OP has posted is some test board, definitely not anything resembling a final product. I believe there will be an N9, but cannot force myself to care...

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sweden
I like the fact that you virtually can do anything with your n900 as far as the hardware will let you. My next phone have to be similar so I can tweak and modify as I please. More power same openness or I will have my n900 as long as possible.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WildWere For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Dallas, TX
I'll switch to Android, bigger screen with tegra 2 would be great.

The Following User Says Thank You to nightwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
N900 or its successor.
Operating system: Maemo or MeeGo, preferably without closed-source components (wholly open-source operating system).
Camera: >=5MPx, auto-focus, shutter (not automatic), flash (which can function as torch), is enough; front camera is superfluous.
Hardware QWERTY keyboard slide-out, possibly e-ink keys, possibly with landscape/portrait support.
Ability to function as phone (2G is enough, though 3G, 4G and WiMax are welcome).
GPS/whatever-satellite-system receiver (the more national/international satellite systems it supports, the higher accuracy it can get).
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, just in case.
(micro)(mini)USB port, with USB networking and host-mode support.
At least 32 GB memory storage and microSD slot (or two microSD slots with one 32GB microSD card included).
IR and FM transceivers would be welcome, but not necessary; I don't use them.

Accelerometer just for switching portrait/landscape can be left out, it doesn't know what position I'm in, and can be frustrating, I would better manually choose one of four positions.

Ambient sensor can be left out, I would better manually regulate brightness of screen and keyboard back-light.

RAM: 256 MB is enough (especially when there is additional swap, like on N900), but 1GB of RAM, just to have no swap to worry/wonder about, would be welcome.

Processor: Cortex-A8 is fine, and Cortex-A9 would be welcome.

And good build quality. To last for years.

Any colour. Whatever colour. Classic Black, Shiny White, Gloomy Brown, Magenta, Pink, Dangerous Red, Alerting Orange, Light Yellow, Sour Lemon, Lime Green, Sky Blue, Dark Navy, Violet, Stars and Stripes, Nokia Logo on the outside, any.

Nokia cannot really start producing N900 again, it would look like Nokia is behind with specifications, but if they were listening, they would make its successor with many small improvements, and MeeGo open-source operating system pre-installed, and 12MPx camera just to match N8, and with wide choice of colours just to attract general public (there is no colour choice for iPhone, yet). They could make separate advertisements for each colour, and some advertisements about rainbow of colours, and consumers would flock to the Nokia stores, to have a look at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Nokia cannot really start producing N900 again
Has Nokia stopped producing the n900? It sure looks like it is still available everywhere...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Has Nokia stopped producing the n900? It sure looks like it is still available everywhere...
It's available in Hong Kong, though stocks are limited in favour of selling newer phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I'm not sure, but I have seen threads about this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...597#post928597
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...251#post927251
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...213#post792213

It's probably that Nokia sold all the N900 devices to consumers directly or to resellers, and Nokia is out of stock, while resellers aren't.

Tags
die android die, nokia blows