Poll: Is your N9 in open mode?
Poll Options
Is your N9 in open mode?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by traysh View Post
I guess you're opening them too soon. After rebooting the phone still takes some minutes to get normal. This happens even without fastetn9... Try rebooting and waiting for 10 minutes before trying to launch anything

Sorry for not explaining well...I know it happens after every reboot...

What I meant was that it can be x hours after a reboot and if you opened the app it would still take a few seconds to launch...

My phone is almost always with cellular off and Wifi on only so when I go out a few hours after rebooting my n9 and turn on cellular then when I open the Call app it takes around 7 seconds for it to open up...However closing it and immediately opening it is real fast...This issue has been around since 0.9.4 IIRC and only went away with 0.9.11...Its now present on versions post-0.9.11 again...

Its a small irritant anyway so don't fret about it

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Sorry for not explaining well...I know it happens after every reboot...

What I meant was that it can be x hours after a reboot and if you opened the app it would still take a few seconds to launch...

My phone is almost always with cellular off and Wifi on only so when I go out a few hours after rebooting my n9 and turn on cellular then when I open the Call app it takes around 7 seconds for it to open up...However closing it and immediately opening it is real fast...This issue has been around since 0.9.4 IIRC and only went away with 0.9.11...Its now present on versions post-0.9.11 again...

Its a small irritant anyway so don't fret about it
Wow, that's a lot of time... I don't have this problem but good that it will only happen the first time you open them after reboot

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
I'm sorry to say that after months of using Faster N9 I've decided to do without it, unfortunately after I installed the latest stable version today, things seemed normal until I started U using the browser, the phone went extremely Hot, like coffee hot, idle standing at almost 200, in the morning was 29mA or so. This wasr not even on 3G, only Wazapp was running with the browser. Then it hit me that 3G used to cause this on PR1.2, but then I wasn't even on 3G but WiFi. Then I took off Fastern9 as I know PR1.3 solved this, guess what I'm typing this from my browser after reboot and I'm feeling the phone getting cooler and cooler. I'm only using drop cache, it's funny that the phone is still smooth until now. Will keep checking.

The Following User Says Thank You to Muzimak For This Useful Post:
Muzimak,

Its each to his own after all

FasterN9 won't necessary mean a faster n9 for everybody out there...It is more of a use-case scenario thing and it should do the job for 80% of the devices out there with 20% being anomalies and outliers...

This doesn't mean you are at fault; some n9s are just built that way; see the Over-clocking thread and many people have different limits for their devices...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
I used 0.9.12 with HSSv2.0.1 without such a thing and currently running the latest unstable with HSSv2.0.2...

Both the apps are not responsible for the reboot loop...Maybe something else caused it?
well before i installed fastern9 there was dropcache installed which is one of the reasons for reboot loop but i uninstalled it before installing fastern9. The thing that made me thought hss is the reason is, when i installed fastern9 and rebooted the phone, my settings were gone on the hss. And i had a different kind of reboot loop. See i didn't have to reflash the device. Loop happened to me 2 times and the phone came to itself after 4-5 restarts. Then i uninstalled fastern9. Do you have an idea?

Oh if you were n a loop for a few restarts thats normal at times...

If it worked after a few restarts don't worry much about it; the system could just be adjusting itself to the new settings...I would be worried if this happened at every reboot but if it happened only once or twice in a blue moon its not a cause for panic

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
I'm sorry to say that after months of using Faster N9 I've decided to do without it, unfortunately after I installed the latest stable version today, things seemed normal until I started U using the browser, the phone went extremely Hot, like coffee hot, idle standing at almost 200, in the morning was 29mA or so. This wasr not even on 3G, only Wazapp was running with the browser. Then it hit me that 3G used to cause this on PR1.2, but then I wasn't even on 3G but WiFi. Then I took off Fastern9 as I know PR1.3 solved this, guess what I'm typing this from my browser after reboot and I'm feeling the phone getting cooler and cooler. I'm only using drop cache, it's funny that the phone is still smooth until now. Will keep checking.
Muzimak, some bugs are very likely to be related to FasterN9, like the 2 bugs in the "known bugs" list. The first one is caused by restarting a system process during installation. The second happens because the Spotify app has a lower priority when in background. A bug that was common in unstable releases was malf. It happened because of replacing a system file and rebooting the system before the changes were actually written in the flash memory.

Other bugs are very unlikely to be caused by FasterN9, and that's the case of the bug you're reporting. See, FasterN9 is not a daemon, not a system process. It is just an alteration in a system file, telling the CPU to run first the processes the user is interacting with and later the processes in the background. In fact, the default configuration (without FasterN9) already do this, FasterN9 just increases more the priority of foreground apps and system processes in relation to background process. Furthermore, if you didn't have this problem with the versions 0.9.12 or 0.9.11, then it's one more evidence that it's not the cause: 0.9.12 is exactly the same of 1.0.0 and 0.9.11 is very similar, only difference is the priority of FirewallPlus Pro.

So what caused your phone to get hot? I can think of 3 reasons:
1) Device malfunction (unlikely): it's possible you're starting to get a hardware problem. This is unlikely but happens, my brother had his N9 replaced by Nokia in January (months before any FasterN9 version) because it's modem stopped working after months of usage.

2) Random system bug (possible): a driver or process hanged in an infinite loop, or a hardware component behaved in an unexpected way causing 100% CPU usage for some time

3) Specific app bug (possible): an specific app hanged in an infinite loop, causing 100% CPU usage because of a specific bug

When I had a N900, it was quite common the third possibility. Specifically, apps written in python used to hang and use 100% of the CPU. So you said you were running wazapp, which is an app written in python, it *could* be the cause. I don't know how well wazapp is working nowadays, but when it was released it was common the background process hang and get killed. Remember, it is still in a beta stage.

But not only the CPU may be the component that got hot in your phone. I know at least 3 components can get hot in expected or unexpected situations: the CPU, the modem and the GPS.

So, my opinion is FasterN9 didn't caused your problem. I know it was gone after you uninstalled and rebooted, but I believe if you had just rebooted the problem (whatever it is) would not happen again, unless you were facing a faulty hardware.

Last edited by traysh; 2012-09-26 at 17:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traysh For This Useful Post:
thank again, Traysh! you did job that nokia should did long time ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to koe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
Oh if you were n a loop for a few restarts thats normal at times...

If it worked after a few restarts don't worry much about it; the system could just be adjusting itself to the new settings...I would be worried if this happened at every reboot but if it happened only once or twice in a blue moon its not a cause for panic
i closed the phone and opened it twice. After the second one i uninstalled fastern9 assuming that it will continue. Thanks for the explenation.

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Name:  2012-09-27_06-30-28.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  24.5 KB

My previous sudden battery drain may or may not have been caused by FasterN9, but this is what I got after I removed it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Muzimak For This Useful Post: