Active Topics

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey all.

Just wondering what are some exciting things I can do with my Desktop screen since this is all new to me.

You know, widgets about weather and clocks and junk.

I've Googled, but wow, almost everything I'm finding is like 5 years old.

So yeah, I wanted to see if anyone had a more modern take on this.

Thanks!

Are you talking about the n900 or the windows desktop? in the latter case, why is it new to you???

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
.. and if it's Windows XP that you're talking about of course the articles about it are gonna be old.. XP has been out since 2001.. And there have been 2 major OS releases after that so yeah..

Anyway, what do you mean by "exciting" anyways??

If you want widgets, clocks.. etc. I remember some people ported Windows Vista's sidebar to Windows XP, so google that and you should be able to find such thing...

Last edited by bandora; 2011-04-17 at 02:41.

Okay. Thank you.

Yeah, here's a picture of my N800 screen.

I was wondering if there was anything like OMWeather, Flip Calendar, SVG Clock, etc., that I could put on my Windows XP desktop to make it look somewhat similar to my tablet.

Most of what I have found doesn't let you tweak any of the graphics for the widgets.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Once people tried to mod their mobiles to look like their desktop computer. Time changed, as you can see. Desktop computers seem to share the fate of huge dinosaurs. Mobile mammals are bound to occupy every ecological niche that was for them.

To remain on topic, Vista sidebar with foreca widget should be described here: http://forums.techarena.in/customize...op/1197923.htm
Not that I ever tried: I don't to Windows :P

Thank you Ernesto!

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
You might like Rainmeter, and on deviantart you have loads of skins for it.
It works for Windows XP, Vista and Seven. (windows only)
Not sure if it works on older Windows.

Dunno if this too relevent for what you are looking for, but you cab also get a windows7 superbar skin, Aero themed explorer windows and start menu for XP from http://lee-soft.com/products/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzTbG...embedded#at=99

I have been using this for over 18months now on my works PC and this is a god send when running 30+ windows at a time.

I went with Rid's suggestion and installed Rainmeter.

It's definitely given a fresh new look for my Desktop.

Such joy!

Thank you for all of the suggestions everyone.

To be honest, all I found before this thread was stupid widgets from Yahoo and Google so everyone's advice really helped me out.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Install Linux Ubuntu and customize is so far out of this world that people will think your 10 years ahead of anything out today. Serious u can tweak your desktop so much on Linux it aint funny