Given how limited root space we have and how packages are optified it would be interesting if we all posted our outputs from the command to see where everyone's at with their remaining root file storage.

df -h /root

Please reboot before you do this because installing applications adds temporary bloat.

Mine:
Used: 172.1 M
Available: 51.4 MB
Used: 77%

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City

Can you increase this space? what is installed to root?

Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
used: 219.8M
free: 3.9M
98%
Jesus, how many testing and devel non-optified apps did you install?

There is no (easy) way to increase root space. All methods require partitioning right now. I'm considering it but I have no idea how the firmware update is going mess with it so I figure I'll wait to here what happens to those that have changed their partitions around.

The default stuff in root comes from the operating systems. Then certain apps in extras install to root (bad behavior) like Evernote and OpenSSH. Some applications in testing and devel will install to root (though they really should be optified before they get into extras).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I actually ran out of space in root within a few days. right now, im sitting at...

216.1 used
7.5 free

I would think with so little room in root, your performance would be degraded.

Used 165MB
Free 58MB
Use 74%

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
part used free
/ 171.9M 51.6M
/usr 508.7M 4.2G
/opt 174.4M 1.8G
/home 1.2G 17.5G

I love having root acces :)

@Laughing Man
If you don't plan on using the flasher other than re-editing a few init/event scripts it shouldn't matter much. If you do plan on updating through reflashing then yeah. That would mess up everything and would need a 2h procedure more or less to get the partitions back.

Used: 182.2M
Available: 41.5M
Use: 81%

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post: