Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Thanks for the info. I still can't get the the Archlinux (i686 version) to work on Jolla tablet. I'm trying a few more things before I report. One thing I just noticed (perhaps a "my bad" is needed here!) is that there is a README file with the archlinux. Should the instructions found there be used in lieu of what is posted in this thread. They seem quite a bit different.
I'm not sure. I had a similar problem when I tried this on my friend's nexus 5 (running 2.0.1.11, I think). The teminal output looked good, but no xwayland window. I'm running running 2.0.5.6. Maybe it's an issue with the wayland version?

I don't really know anything about the jolla tablet. What version of SFOS are you running? If you have 64 bit kernel, you might want to try amd64 rootfs.

Where can I find the README file you mentioned?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
The README file is in the archlinux rootfs version here

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=40

Jolla tablet does not use arm. Most specs are here.

http://www.gsmarena.com/jolla_tablet-6816.php

It is x86_64 i486

Similar to what you say everything looks fine until I get to the kwin_wayland command. No window appears.

I will play some more but suggestions are welcome!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by preflex View Post
Booooo! I had just finished making a custom rootfs to share with everyone. I was just waiting until later this evening when I'd have a reasonably fast connection in order to upload it. I was hoping to release it along with some management scripts this evening.

Oh well, I guess I'll just use Arch instead. I wasn't really taking advantage of Manjaroishness anyway. For this use, Arch should be mostly indistinguishable. It will take a day or two for me to migrate, and then I'll share a preconfigured Arch rootfs instead.

I've also been working on some Sailfish GUI utilities for installation, configuration, and 1-click launch of chroot with xfce desktop as nemo user. I'm new to QT Quick, so this may take a little while, but it's coming along nicely.
Just wondering if you don't mind sharing the work you did on the Manjoro version. Would be fun to try until the Archlinux version is ready. Regardless, thanks for your efforts as having this capability really makes Sailfish unique. It's clearly a much better user experience than trying to chroot an Android phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
I don't really know anything about the jolla tablet. What version of SFOS are you running? If you have 64 bit kernel, you might want to try amd64 rootfs.
amd64? really? on arm processor? what a story

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
The tablet uses an Intel Atom CPU.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Just wondering if you don't mind sharing the work you did on the Manjoro version. Would be fun to try until the Archlinux version is ready. Regardless, thanks for your efforts as having this capability really makes Sailfish unique. It's clearly a much better user experience than trying to chroot an Android phone.
I would, but my net access is very limited. The next time I have a fast connection, I might, if I don't have Archlinux ready yet. The file is about 800MB, and I only get about 80kbps upload right now, so it would take too long (about 20 hours) and therefore likely be interrupted.

I might have a chance later today. Any suggestions on where to share the file? I'd prefer not to use Mega, or something like that, because it would be nice to be able to download it with curl in an install script.

Last edited by preflex; 2017-02-28 at 21:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
The tablet uses an Intel Atom CPU.
Oh, i thought it was about Nexus 5.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
I might have a chance later today. Any suggestions on where to share the file? I'd prefer not to use Mega, or something like that, because it would be nice to be able to download it with curl in an install script.
Since this seems to be all open source, you could check if you can get away with creating a github repository containing scripts to create the file and hosting the resulting file as a release: https://help.github.com/articles/dis...arge-binaries/
Good luck!
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
You can find some helper scripts here:
https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chroot

ManChroot.sh will give you a root shell inside the chroot.
DeskChroot.sh will launch a XFCE4 session.

You may notice errors about mount points in /home/nemo not being found. If you would like to share these directories with the chroot, create those directories inside the chroot.

You can find the preconfigured Manjaro rootfs here: https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chroot/releases

To use with the helper scripts, unpack it in /opt/easychroot/Manjaro

This rootfs contains helper scripts in /usr/share/easychroot/scripts/
The start_xwayland.sh contains hardcoded values for my Nexus 4's screen. If you are using a different device, you will need to edit the last line of this script, substituting the height and width values for your device.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
You can find some helper scripts here:
https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chroot

ManChroot.sh will give you a root shell inside the chroot.
DeskChroot.sh will launch a XFCE4 session.

You may notice errors about mount points in /home/nemo not being found. If you would like to share these directories with the chroot, create those directories inside the chroot.

You can find the preconfigured Manjaro rootfs here: https://github.com/Preflex/easy-chroot/releases

To use with the helper scripts, unpack it in /opt/easychroot/Manjaro

This rootfs contains helper scripts in /usr/share/easychroot/scripts/
The start_xwayland.sh contains hardcoded values for my Nexus 4's screen. If you are using a different device, you will need to edit the last line of this script, substituting the height and width values for your device.
Hi. Just wanted to say that it started up on my Jolla 1! XFCE4 is an especially good choice for my screen size (540x960). While lots of warnings quite glad to get it up and running for now. Thanks again!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: