Notices

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
I apologize if this topic has already been discussed elsewhere, but I wasn't able to find it.

I'd like to be able to geotag photos taken from my camera. There's an option to get GPS coordinates and merge them with the EXIF data.
Since the upcoming N900 is equipped with a GPS receiver, I was wondering if there is any application to log GPS coordinates so that they could be transferred to a computer and merged with the data stored in the photo file.

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Hello,

welcome on the forum.

I believe that N900 should do such geotagging out-of-box.

[edit] Automatic geotaggin is listed here:
http://maemo.nokia.com/features/
as a feature.

[edit2] Unless you would like to geo-tag (damn, what is the right spelling for that?) pictures taken with an external camera? Then you can take a look at this topic:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33555

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

Last edited by hopbeat; 2009-11-07 at 21:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Easy.

1) minigpsd on the Nxxx
Log the GPS location to a file - it will make KML, but I don't know if it does other formats.

2) gpsbabel on the Nxxx or PC
Convert the KML file to a more suitable format (probably GPX).

3) gpicsync on the PC
Geocode photos using the GPX file

I used to do this all the time (but not with gpicsync) but then got fed up of all the hassle and bought a GPS unit for my Nikon DSLR.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dormant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
I know that N900 can take pretty good pictures with its own camera and geotag them automatically, which would eliminate all the steps and hassles.
But photos taken with a camera phone, no matter how good, are still not on par with the ones taken with a regular camera. I'll try the solution to see how it goes. If it doesn't work well, there's always the option to use the built-in camera.

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Well, it all depends on what you expect. Personally, I don't really use built-in cameras, but I can see that many people are happy with them as long as they look decent on facebook or alike.

If there will come community interest in automated process for tagging pictures taken with external camera, an application will soon be written (as it is not rocket science).
So check @dormant's solution and if it doesn't work for you, keep poking

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

I just installed gps-data-logger, which accomplishes the task. However, this is a desktop widget, which requires me to keep in on the desktop taking space for other icons and widgets. Because I don't need to use it very often, it would be better if it was an application instead of a widget.

Originally Posted by Dinho View Post
I just installed gps-data-logger, which accomplishes the task. However, this is a desktop widget, which requires me to keep in on the desktop taking space for other icons and widgets.
Have you found any documentation for it?

What file format does it record in? (can't seem to find what and where it is recording)

I agree, it should be an app, not a desktop widget.

Last edited by whats_up_skip; 2010-03-12 at 06:43.

Is it possible to have longer interval for gps-data-logger ?
30 secs max seems little too battery consuming.
I was thinking like once in a hour would be suitable in a long airplane trip for example.

Code:
$ gconftool-2 -R /apps/gps-data-logger
 interval = 5
 method_gnss = true
 method_agnss = true
 method_cwp = false
 method_acwp = true
 log_folder = /home/user/MyDocs/gps-data-logger
And I wonder, why it says "5" there, although in settings I have "30 secs" there.

Well, anyway, will it work, if I manually with gconftool-2 set the interval to 3600?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Perth, WA
zimon - did you test this?

I'm looking for a way to get a GPS fix about once an hour and create a log of the journey around australia I'm taking for the next few months.

The plan is to get it to upload the log somewhere every so often and have a map on a blog site so my family (and any other interested parties) can see where I've been so far and roughly where I am now.

So - if you tested it, can you tell me if it keeps the GPS up all the time? Having it on constantly just for a once an hour fix would be too much of a strain on the battery for my liking.

I want to use the logger-data to keep track of my working hours; Only as far as i can tell the collected data is only written to file when you put the logger on hold. Is there a way to periodicallly flush the logged data to file while recording?

Tags
application, geotag, gps, logger, n900