Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
yeah. bored. i figured I need more phones. waitng for x10 mini and the new Iphone.....not as replacements. need a new mini phone...end well apple. I'm not sure yet the the new iphone is for me but looks interresting. meego is far away, and yet it seems to have killed the n900...

I'm a bit disappointed of how nokia handled the release and the support of the device.

Last edited by Dave999; 2010-04-24 at 06:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I am very satisfies with my N900.

Is what I needed a cumouter in my pocket. I have not complain about nokia but the lack of ovi services.

im bored of the nokia n900 was thinking of starting a similar thread a few days back but just couldnt be asked the only thing good about the N900 is that it keeps me onlne all the time and makes it easier to stay in touch with freinds on facebook. compared to a jailbroken iphone its really boring.

i just feel everyone is living in hope when they say the best is to come i feel its all happened, the best has come and gone so quit kidding yourself.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by FreeThinker View Post
Does the fact the Meego is coming make the N900 less useful? I don't know about you, but my N900 hasn't stopped working since MeeGo was announced.
Your logic is flawed. If developers don't want to develop for the N900, because they feel it's a dead end, then yeah, Nokia killed off the N900 with the Meego announcement.

That's what people mean and you know it. What you're doing is called "constructing a strawman", which means that when you have an opponent, you make up something that he supposedly said (that their N900 stopped working when Meego was announced) and then you ridicule that thought. It's a widely used debate technique, but also almost always frowned upon.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Mas Termind View Post
compared to a jailbroken iphone its really boring.
Could you explain? I would really be interested which arguments make a jailbroken iPhone more interesting than the N900.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Yup, I'm bored, so yesterday I started looking for alternatives. Number one on my brief list of requirements is a QWERTY-slider (with Finnish/Swedish keys, since we use ежд in every other word).

I made this brief list:

* QWERTY slideout keyboard
* Hires touch screen (more than 320x480) - preferably 800 in some direction
* Good OS (Maemo, Meego, WinMo7, Android 2.1 or more, Iphone OS)

And you know what. There is no alternative to the N900 for me right now =(, so I guess my boredom will prevail, as well as the money in my pocket.

The Droid or Milestone comes close, but no keys for Finnish/Swedish chars and a slightly weird design makes it fall just below the acceptable line.

The N900 may be boring and lagging behind a bit in terms of software releases and application development, but it's still the only viable alternative for me. I completely suck at writing long texts on an onscreen keyboard during a shaky bus ride, so I don't event want to consider it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
The logic behind the fact that the N900 is dead becuse Meego got announced is beyond backwards. The very fact that the N900 and Meego with both run QT applications is a massive possitive.
This is without taking into account that the N900 is the OFFICIAL testing device for Meego. You can even at this very moment run a working Meego image on the N900. Once the next version gets released sometime in May you will see how the 2 will work together.

Sure the first true Meego device might not be the N900 but it will be running a full working version long before then and will probably get upgraded to latest version once its out.

A little bit of research never hurt anyone. There is an entire wiki thread on this very site detailing all of this.

The Following User Says Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Yeah i got fed up and sold mine yesterday, total price crash, nokia just let this phone die a death, really as soon as it was launched they killed it.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Leeds, UK
Im still yet to see a device that 'beats' it. Sure, the cameras crummy, and it's a it cumersome at times, but what other phone has this amount of software flexibility? Coupled with a processor that numerically ain't special, but runs beautifully, easily the best browser available, a superb qwerty, a media player that can run almost anything, a wonderful display that rivals nearly all phones (desires is stunning...) a great selection of USEFUL apps (i dont need 20000 differen apps trying to do 1 thing, just give me 1 that does it right!) and the phone is still outstanding.

Those of you bored have become perhaps a little spoilt, and maybe dont appreciate the n900 like you first did, which is understandble in some ways. But honestly, it is still easily the best all rounder I have ever used, and other phones seem like a genuine step down.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luke Valentine For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
The logic behind the fact that the N900 is dead becuse Meego got announced is beyond backwards. The very fact that the N900 and Meego with both run QT applications is a massive possitive.
You're right that there should be no logical reason to abandon the N900 as a platform just because of Meego. There seems to be a bridge between the two that could be traversed.

However, the logic that we shouldn't feel the N900 is worse off after the Meego announcement, is logically flawed. Despite the fact that Meego devices should be able to run N900 Qt apps almost straight out of the box and the N900 should get Meego as the very first device, developers aren't convinced. There is no commercial development going on for the N900 at all! (Except Sygic nav).

So, why are developers apprehensive? I can think of a couple of reasons:

* The PR1.2 update enables Qt functionality that previously wasn't available to developers and until it's released we won't see any significant apps.

* The developers aren't that easily duped by promises of out of the box portability of N900 <-> Meego. They just don't buy that apps will work on both platforms with zero or almost zero conversion effort. I don't believe it either.

* Maybe the Maemo5 platform is just bad to develop for - for some reason? Firefox for the N900 is sluggish even at 900MHz and those guys should know a thing or two about open source development! The built in photo gallery is choppy as hell.

* Ovi store sucks beyond belief.

* Nokia doesn't seem to believe in the N900 enough to provide a working baseline of programs and functionality. Choppy user interface, slow and badly functioning maps, broken Exchange support, ... As an example, Apple and Google have both built very polished baseline apps for their platforms - they are showing they believe in their products. Nokia and the N900 - not so much.

* Maybe commercial apps were never supposed to come to the N900? Maybe it was supposed to be an open source community with only open source apps? That is pretty much what we have now and it seems to lead to apps being in perpetual beta state with somewhere between 30-80% of the functionality implemented. Nothing is ever finished, many apps are unusable and let's not even talk about user friendliness...

* And finally: Why should developers work on something that is step 4/5? It's up to Nokia to provide a stable and reliable platform for developers to deploy their products on. Nokia has failed to do that and the announcement of Meego has obviously done nothing to increase the faith developers have in the N900. Step 5 will never see the light of day and instead we'll get some as of yet undefined hybrid of Maemo and Moblin and my guess is many of us will have owned their N900:s for a whole year before that happens. I don't blame people for becoming bored.

Having said that, I am pretty satisfied with my N900. That's because I have no expectations at all of future updates. I take what I can get today and assume that's all it'll ever be. Unrealistic expectations will ruin the whole experience and maybe people should think a little less about what they will be getting next and try to enjoy what they have now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:

Tags
booooooooooring, please go, please sell