I recently found out that I could run Open Office on my N900 and it appears after doing a little reading that the N900 is leaning more towards Koffice. Along with installing Open Office I now have Debian Chroot and etc. Should and can I remove this and open office to run Koffice or do I need the debian items to run Koffice? Can I just delete the image file and go from there to install Koffice.
Is Koffice a better program that Open Office to run on the N900?

Any help or advice would help alot thanks in advance......

The Following User Says Thank You to backwoods For This Useful Post:
Um please?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
OpenOffice is not running on a Native N900 platform yet. Using of OpenOffice will drain battery real fast, because it is not optimising to use on a portable device. It uses a lot of RAM and CPU.

KOffice is a smaller version which designed to run on the ARM processor CPU and low Mhz CPU. It is more efficient to run and will not drain your battery. But KOffice is not yet released for the N900.

ok thanks, do you have any idea when koffice os supposed to be released for the N900? I am using the Open Office program right now and it does drain the battery pretty quick but seem to work ok not great. The Debain LXDE I assume is to reduce the size to fit smaller devices and the Fix LXDE Keyboard works for now allowing me to edit .doc and .xlm files which I can then transfer to my laptop and print or etc. Screen is a little small though but it is pretty cool you can run a desktop from this device. Thanks for you help !!!!!!!!!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OpenOffice will NOT drain your battery "real fast". It is slow to start (it takes one minute to open), and it can be slow doing other things, however, it is a full office suite on your N900.

KOffice will only be a document viewer. They have not announced any plans to release an editor yet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Qole this is ture it takes some time to open and if it is idle does not drain any faster than normal it appears. Loading for me takes about a minute. Is it not possible or to much work to have the LDXE program or something inside the Open Office program scan for wifi printers or to use the USB cable to print? Thanks and I will be staying with the open office program then.

Personally, I'd be happy with Abiword and Gnumeric as native apps for basic office duties. Nice and light and GTK+ apps too. At home, I run OO.o on my main PC and display it on my n900 by ssh X forwarding. Runs really fast that way! When I'm out 'n' about, I've found Abiword on my test PC at home that's got port 22 open to the internet provides me with a similar way of running a proper office app. So as long as I've got an internet connection, I can sftp any file anywhere & open/edit it.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, Abiword for the N900 is acceptible too, if you don't need really good MS Office compatibility.

ssh -X is problematic; if you lose your network connection, you lose your document.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
I user Koffice for reading files. And use Abiword for editing. Works good for me.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Originally Posted by amarjyoti View Post
I user Koffice for reading files. And use Abiword for editing. Works good for me.
If KOffice is on the phone, seems crazy to need another program for editing...especially since KWord has now has such great filters for working with real word docs