Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
Wonderful news. Yet another win for Linux.
I hope both communities merge well and come out stronger.
Moblin is really nice on netbooks. And all of us here are Maemo fans anyway.
I think they would complement each other. :-)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Yeah! This is what I had hoped for since July 2007. Moblin and Maemo had always been so close...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by HugoSon View Post
...and just another think jumping to my mind - does this mean that Intel will support a platform that runs on ARM?!? Well how strange this might be for the Intel x86 community?
Yes, they said that Meego will support multiple hardware platforms and that just simply has to include ARM considering that they basicly listed every possible kind of mobile device from phones to in vehicle devices.

EDIT:
From Ari Jaaksi's blog:

It’ll run on X86 and on Arm based hardware.

Last edited by Rauha; 2010-02-15 at 11:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
This is really scary.

Will Maemo 5 receive any sort of updates now that Nokia has embraced (yet) another new project?

Are the next Maemo 6 powered devices moving to x86 platform?

If Meego is the next Maemo 6, will it run on N900? (considering Intel is an x86 provider I supose not).

Will Moblin lost all of it's Clutter based goodies to adopt Qt?

Will Meego run on any x86 based PC as any other Linux distro? Does it means that Maemo is not a Mobile Computer platform but a common Linux distro?

Sincerely I can't understand Nokia's strategy, while Apple's and Google's appear very clear to me.

Right now, I'm loving this move.

"Netbook, Pocketables, In-Vehicle, Connected TV, Media phone"

The Following User Says Thank You to tentpole For This Useful Post:
I hope this does not delay the next products.
Maemo 5 is very usable, and Moblin 2.1 is almost usable in my opinion (a little too much bugs in my opinion).

HopeMeeGo helps to promote linux

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Yeah! This is what I had hoped for since July 2007. Moblin and Maemo had always been so close...
great news for the community, not so great unless its worked back to all the punters that bought an N900 and are in 18 / 24 month contracts...

from twitter.....
@FoneArena

Just asked a question if nokia n900 will get meego .. got an answer that developers could make transition easily. .. dunno if consumers can

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Great news for me. Less Linux fragmentation, more shared resources to build future open source applications.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Sorry but MeeGo is just a stupid name, why not Maemo or Moblin?
i agree that the name is poor.

as for "why not use established name": have you read flor's blog? he is happy two big egos of intel and nokia are able to cooperate. it seems, however, that these two egos needed new name to go on with the "merger". :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hyartep For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
That sounds like a rather unfortunate turn. I'd hoped that Nokia had a stronger vision for the maemo platform! Now they're already cobbling it up again. How's that helping with building a strong community??

Also, what the heck is intel up to? their only asset is x86 technology! why are they investing in creating an open, portable platform that would be architecture-independent? as soon as people have the free choice of architecture for running their software, intel will be crunched by ARM.

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war