Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Apple agree to pay Nokia a lump-sum of cash then ongoing royalty payments in the future.

Press Release

Nokia enters into patent license agreement with Apple

Apple payments to Nokia settle all litigation and have positive financial impact

Espoo, Finland - Nokia announced that it has signed a patent license agreement with Apple. The agreement will result in settlement of all patent litigation between the companies, including the withdrawal by Nokia and Apple of their respective complaints to the US International Trade Commission.

The financial structure of the agreement consists of a one-time payment payable by Apple and on-going royalties to be paid by Apple to Nokia for the term of the agreement. The specific terms of the contract are confidential.

"We are very pleased to have Apple join the growing number of Nokia licensees," said Stephen Elop, president and chief executive officer of Nokia. "This settlement demonstrates Nokia's industry leading patent portfolio and enables us to focus on further licensing opportunities in the mobile communications market."

During the last two decades, Nokia has invested approximately EUR 43 billion in research and development and built one of the wireless industry's strongest and broadest IPR portfolios, with over 10,000 patent families. Nokia is a world leader in the development of handheld device and mobile communications technologies, which is also demonstrated by Nokia's strong patent position.

This agreement is expected to have a positive financial impact on Nokia's recently revised outlook for the second quarter 2011 of around break-even non-IFRS operating margin for Devices & Services.

http://press.nokia.com/2011/06/14/no...nt-with-apple/

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Last edited by NvyUs; 2011-06-14 at 05:31.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Uvelievable. If the result would be the opposite all the internet will be ful of people saying that nokia is over and that apple is the best technology company in the world.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
We don't really know, if Nokia won or not. There's no public information on payment details. Apple paying license fees to Nokia isn't a sign of victory. It was obvious from the start that Apple would have to pay something. Nokia's case was so strong. Apple could be the real winner here, if the settlement has considerably lower payments than what Nokia wanted.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
May be you are rigth, but finally nokia have nothing to pay to apple. And the message I can read on that is that nokia have more technology innovation than apple. For me it is a good new. Most of people just think the opposite way.

I have to agree with Rauha. I am afraid that due to its tragic financial situation (thanks Elop!) Nokia agreed to anything just to fill coffers.

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
What matters is, that Nokia does not have to be afraid of silly Apple software patents.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
What matters is, that Nokia does not have to be afraid of silly Apple software patents.
They never really needed to be worried about those anyway. Nokia's IP portfolio is strong that only opportunistic patent trolls sue it.

Besides, Nokia doesn't make software anymore. Apple's software patents could still screw Nokia, if Apple sues Microsoft or whoever makes the software for Nokia's generic hardware shells in the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
May be I am wrong but I thinnk that patent figth is between Samsung and Apple and not between Android and Apple.

I do not know exactly how does it work.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
The negativism on this board is unbelievable. Nokia won on ALL accounts, the ones that Nokia sued Apple but also the ones that Apple sued Nokia. Apple wll pay a one time royalty plus continuous licensing fees. A victory in a patent dispute doesn't come more sugercoated than this.