i want to install mediaserv but the file is in tar and i don't know how to install tar files, i only know how to install deb. so could somebody help me with this, thank you all.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
You have to install xterm.

In xterm, do : tar xvf <tarfile>

With .deb files use application manager to install.

i know i take slow to a new factor, but i have no ideal how to do that. i open the tar file in my computer and the file i got was install.sh can that i open that in xterm also and how and can you be more descriptive, like step by step maybe, thak you.

Ok, copy the tar file to your "Documents" folder on your tablets internal memory.

Then open the X-Term application and type these commands (you can even copy/paste them in).

Code:
cd Documents/ 
tar -xvf TheNameOfYourTarFile.tar
That will untar it. Tell us exactly what files get extracted and we can probably help you further.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
thanks you guys but i'm copyng and pasting the command but its no use, i don't uderstand xterm so its hard for me but thanks anyway

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Hmmm, what are you trying to install? When you opened it on your computer, all you got was install.sh? Is that it?

In that case... (don't type the quotes)

Move the .tar file into your N810 memory (not SD card).

Then, open xterm and type "cd MyDocs/.documents/"

Then type "ls" you should see your file there.

Then type "tar -xvf TheNameOfYourTarFile.tar"

Then, it should output the install.sh file into your N810 memory

Then, type "ls" to make sure it is there

Then, type "chmod a=rwx install.sh" to make it runable

Then type "./install.sh" to run the installer

Hope that helped!

NOTE: I have copied Brent... That should be obvious... Its just more noob friendly

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2009-01-03 at 04:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
lets see, when i open the tar file in my computer i got this files: ARTISTIC, install.sh, mediaserv, and read me. i'm trying to install mediaserv btw. according to the READ ME i have to install "install.sh script in the tarball" (no idea what a tarball is. well anyway everytime i write cd documents/ i get CAN'T CD TO DOCUMENTS and when i type tar -xvf mediaserv-0.05.tar it says that the file or directory does not exist. i don't think that i'm ever going to be able to install this without someone giving me full leasons on how to write commands and all that. i'm not trying to be lazy but could you try to install mediaserv yourself form this page: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=455

and see what you come up with, thak you.

Darn, I forgot "Documents" isn't really called that. Try "cd MyDocs/.documents/" (without quotes).

Sorry, my bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
LOL dude!!

AFAIK, mediaserv runs on you LINUX PC!!! Not the tablet!

http://mediautils.garage.maemo.org/mediaserv.html

See, this is why you have to explain your problem!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.