Active Topics

>>I am now interested in a 6" thing if there is such.<<

I don't know about 6", but I am going to Japan at the end of the year to visit relatives, and will definitely take a look at the Sharp NetWalker PC-Z1:

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/N...Internet-Tool/

I've not managed to read the whole thread, so my apologies if this has already been said.

I quite like the look of the 4 -> 7" screen market, and unfortunately to get something with decent performance and full feature set you need to buy an Android tablet (I'm skipping the SmartQ *7 stuff here because it lacks something at least from the following).

I'd want:
256Mb+ RAM
e-compass (this is very important, as I think it would be quite cool for AR apps)
(A-)GPS
Wifi
3G (ideally)
Front and back cameras (no barcode scanning otherwise)
Quick processor (having to pay some half decent money here so it should be future proof)

If the screen is 4" I'd really want a kb too - as the screen size goes up I reckon I could live with on-screen.... I think....

Aside from that, I would plan to at least try to port Meego to the device, but in the interim, it would be best to have an up to date version of Android and the ability to access the Android Marketplace to make the downtimes between porting efforts useful too.

From browsing the myriad available tablets, lots only have 128Mb of RAM, and those that have 256Mb+ are either lacking cameras, or this or that. I can't see anything particularly compelling yet. Perhaps once more Tegra devices are released things will get better, who knows.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
My tablet/pad/A81e after 7 days of hacking, in addition to the routine stuff, surfing/media playing/email, it does the following effortlessly:

- No frozen/battery removal for several days, very stable with the petolley 1102 FW, so far
- ADBwireless allows hack into the A81e from winPC/Mac/Linux box.
- gain root
- install apps on SD, i.e., 256 MB limit for app installing is gone, instead it is now 2G limits on SD card; a very important hack!
- GPS works, unfortunately quite parallel to the N810, it took forever to get lock, once it locked it worked very well.

In addition, a larger screen, responsive screen, a not yet EOL OS, large amount of apps, I would say it is quite a good 'next tablet' for the N8x0 owners.

When compared to the Archos 70, Archos70 have the following:

1) built in microphone
2) gSensor
3) multitouch capacity screen
4) Cortex A8 at 1G
5) HDMI/TV out
6) webcam for video conference
7) Archos bland
8) Samba/UPnP protocol allows streaming home TV (paid option?)
9) 8G flash memory
$279 + shipping

While the A81e has:
1) GPS
2) OS 2.2
3) case
$221 shipped

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-11-21 at 03:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
My tablet/pad/A81e after 7 days of hacking, in addition to the routine stuff, surfing/media playing/email, it does the following effortlessly:

- No frozen/battery removal for several days, very stable with the petolley 1102 FW, so far
- ADBwireless allows hack into the A81e from winPC/Mac/Linux box.
- gain root
- install apps on SD, i.e., 256 MB limit for app installing is gone, instead it is now 2G limits on SD card; a very important hack!
- GPS works, unfortunately quite parallel to the N810, it took forever to get lock, once it locked it worked very well.

In addition, a larger screen, responsive screen, a not yet EOL OS, large amount of apps, I would say it is quite a good 'next tablet' for the N8x0 owners.

When compared to the Archos 70, Archos70 have the following:

1) built in microphone
2) gSensor
3) multitouch capacity screen
4) Cortex A8 at 1G
5) HDMI/TV out
6) webcam for video conference
7) Archos bland
8) Samba/UPnP protocol allows streaming home TV (paid option?)
9) 8G flash memory
$279 + shipping

While the A81e has:
1) GPS
2) OS 2.2
3) case
$221 shipped

bun
Yes, GPS works though very slow to lock, sorry for not responding you earlier.
There is an 1GHz kernel available, though the battery indicator is not working with it.
Standby time can be improved with SetCPU, though the lower limit should be 500MHz or you get screen flickering under that, some more info about the profiles:
http://www.slatedroid.com/nationite-...html#post94861

Meanwhile I was able to get MeeGo's X to start on A81E - only to display an error but its a start , still not the actual desktop.

If I understand correctly, Archos 70 wasn't fully rooted yet (no su and not retaining root after reboot).

Last edited by Bundyo; 2010-11-21 at 08:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
@Bundyo: I found this app, it allows app put on the notification bar, very convenient.

Smart Bar. Smart Bar>SmartBar Settings>Others...>enable your apps (I put in rotateL + rotateP) > Menu > Done

Now, if you want to rotate during your app, you dont have to get out from your app, just bring the notification down and that is it.

bun

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This is interesting. Price point is right for me. I have an old GPS device that I got for my N800, which I imagine is good enough for the A81e, so I could go with the non-GPS version. Hmmm.

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 348 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
Maybe this is kind of silly, or someone already quoted this before, but
I am wondering aloud here...
Why a Nvidia Tegra and 512mb ddr2 memory to use on an android froyo?????
Won't it use the same apps, or games the normal android phones use?
So I guess this is a waste of power...
Better wait for a tablet with this specs or up + meego then.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
@bunanson: Check this app - didn't test it, but it looks like some kind of AGPS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
>>I am now interested in a 6" thing if there is such.<<
I think smartphones go from 3" -> 5"
Tablets follow up from 6" -> 10"

A 6" with no bezel may be interesting, just to see how small we could get a tablet ... no the Dell Streak is just a large smartphone

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-11-26 at 07:23.

@bunanson
Thanks for your A81e review.
What do you mind with 'not true multitask'?
Isn't possible to browse the web, listen to music & IM chatting all at the same time?

Thanks

Tags
droid tablet, wits tablet