Notices

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Since it's been in Extras-testing since the 11th June and my patience is wearing thin:

Simple applet; tells you the current strength from 0-10 in the status area of your Wi-Fi connection. This doesn't work with connections through your mobile telephone network (I figure the cellular level bars is enough in this case...) and nor with ad-hoc connections - I don't know if ICD gets the level for those and I can't be arsed to set one up just to find out. So, it only shows if connected to an Infrastructure Wi-Fi network.

It checks, by default, every two seconds but I've provided a Control Panel applet from which the timeout can be configured.

I figure checking when you can't actually see the thing would be pointless so it stops checking if: (surprise!) the status area isn't visible; you happen to be viewing the Dashboard; your N900 is in a fullscreen app etc.; the display is off and if you aren't actually connected to a Wi-Fi Infrastructure network.
(If you're pedantic, check by taliling /var/log/syslog and grepping for IPHB).

Due to a lack of appreciation for the arts from its creator, it doesn't use images but rather text that is generated internally from the applet. The colour and font are dependent on the theme you're using.

Thanks, testers!

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-07-04 at 17:03.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
I have it since while. I generally use 3.5G so I don't see it often but I think it's very usefull. Thanks for it! Voted for it a few seconds ago

Last edited by fw190; 2010-07-04 at 16:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Like it, but why the min and max times. Surely a single timer value should be enough no?

The Following User Says Thank You to peteblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by peteblack View Post
Like it, but why the min and max times. Surely a single timer value should be enough no?
Alas, I don't understand it properly, but it's what the function (http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/5.0-fi...eat-signal-add) adding the timeout requires. g_timeout_add_seconds_full does only require one timer value. But the IPHB function supposedly provides a more optimised timer function...

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
So... are you sure it goes from 0 to 10? Standing next to my wifi router the max I get is 5...

The Following User Says Thank You to Nagaroth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
By the way, qwerty, if you ever still check these threads, or ever come back to it - I appreciate you having made this applet. It's wonderfully useful, and had I ever understood where the **** to go to vote for these things, and noticed this thing until recently, I would have voted for it.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
It doesn't work with me. If I put it next to the antenna I get a 6, if I go so far that the signal is almost lost I still get a 5.

But If I look at it with Conky or Debian, I get the proper values. The Idea is cool, but unfortunatelly, isn't working on me |:/

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Romania
Is the best wi-fi applet!! Thnx!

also in my case I have 2 also very very near to modem